Which is easier: Plucking, or Skinning

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by ninjascrub69, Dec 20, 2010.

1. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    I plan on processing one of my production reds today, and wanted to know which would be easiest

2. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    Skinning

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

By far....skinning

4. Country Parson

Country Parson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Bellefontaine, OH
    Skinning is easier, but it greatly alters/reduces your cooking options later on. I, for one, would never skin a chicken (though we usually roast our chickens whole, if you don't need the skins then skinning isn't an issue).

5. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I like grill and roast with stuffing. The skin help keep the meat moist and flavor. I am sure skin is much easier.

6. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    skinning is much easier and faster.

7. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

I prefer plucking, only because I am used to it, from my Asian heritage. It takes a little bit longer to do because of the plucking but it comes down to an are and proper planning. We also made our version of the "popcorn chicken skins". Yummy! But Skinning is by far easier to do, my friends process their birds that way. When I first witnessed their mode of processing, they indicated that they took the pelts and made hats etc. Just like Pheasant pelts.

It boils down to what you have time for and what you want out of the carcass. Plus it helps to know if you have extra hands to aid in the processing of a high volume of birds. It makes it better, all around, way to get the job done. Happy Processing!

8. Buster52

Buster52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Quote:Well, howdy!

9. louloubean

louloubean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2009
    OC, NY
    skiining faster,
    plucking a little longer, but not too hard!

10. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    If I could skin chickens as easily as the guy in this video then I probably would do it that way more often. But I seem to lack the arm strength, I especially have to struggle with the legs & the wings. Like tryinng to wrestle a fat little kid out of a tight snow suit. I have also had the issue, especially with dark-feathered birds, of getting feather chaff all over the sticky surface of the skinned meat and having a difficult time getting it all off before cooking. It doesn't wash off easily.

I find that hand-plucking is VERY EASY for me. It takes about 5 minutes per bird to get most of the feathers off. I only do a few at a time, usually by myself, no more than 6 or 8 at a time. I keep pots of water heating on the stove inside, my son will bring them out as needed to make the water in the scalding bucket as hot as necessary (around 150 degrees). I dunk the birds in and agitate them up & down about 10 times or so, when I can pull a wing feather out easily I know the bird is ready to pluck. I hang them by their zip-tied feet to a hook so the bird is hanging down from shoulder height. Then I have 2 hands to pluck, really it's like wiping the lint out of a dryer trap for most of the body. I don't pluck the parts I cut away, the necks & long tail feathers. I will take time to finish either at the cutting table or maybe the next day when I'm giving them their final wash before bagging. Pin feathers can usually be pushed out with a butter knife.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by