Which is roosters and which are hens?

brightonchicks

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
Near Springfield,MO
My chicks are 4 weeks old, can you tell by looking what sex they are? I have 4, 2 are RIR and 2 are Black Australorps, they may be mixed I'm not sure.I think this is a hen
I think the red one is hen and the black one maybe a rooster.
In the next 2 I think this red one is a rooster.
The last pic. is the two together I think are roosters.

Last edited:
They are too young to tell for sure, right now I would vote the first black chick is a possible pullet, the other three from the amount of pink comb/wattle are probable cockerels,

They are too young to tell for sure, right now I would vote the first black chick is a possible pullet, the other three from the amount of pink comb/wattle are probable cockerels,
X3

Post more photos in a couple more weeks.

Last edited:
Can you tell me at what age they may start to try to crow if they are a rooster?
The age of crowing varies with each breed. Rarely, cockerels crow at 3 weeks or earlier. Most of the time, they try crowing at 8-10 weeks. However, some wait until they're 6 months old or more before finally crowing.

The australorps are just reaching the age you can sex them now.

The girls will start getting their tail feathers but boys will keep short tails (opposite of what you would expect) then shortly the boys combs will start to go pink and start growing where the girls will stay yellow longer and smaller. All this starts happening from around 4 weeks so keep a close eye on them for any changes or differences between the two.

If you could get a good shot of the two next to each other showing close up of combs, and another from the back showing the two tails you could try posting them on the australorp thread.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom