Which is this?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jackiedon, Mar 6, 2008.

1. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    [​IMG]

Is this a Penedesenca or a Maran? I hatched both Penedesencas and Marans at the same time. I had some salmon and silver Maran eggs. The legs are white like Marans but I saw a pic of a Penedesenca that looks like that too. I can't remember the last name of the man I bought them from his first name was Ray from eggbid. I have seen his name later as being a reputable breeder.

jackie

2. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    I can't tell from the pic but does his comb have a crown, especially toward the back? kinda like a cup with points on both sides. If so then it would be a Penedesenca. The guy you may be talking about is Ray Valentine. From what I see it looks more like a MAran.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  3. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    It's a flat comb. You are right his last name is Valentine. Some of the Cuckoo Marans have feathered legs.

Thanks,

jackie

4. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    Does Ray have Crele Marans? I dont know if I've seen Crele Marans, but I know there are Crele Penedesencas. Im going with Penedesenca for now. But then again, if the back of his comb is flat, then he's not a Pen. (sorry, I just read that). The very back of the comb should have a little clump if its a Pen. Check them out on Feathersite.com.

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Another point in favor of Penedesenca is the white earlobes. Marans have red earlobes. And that is the typical leg color of a Crele Penedesenca. [​IMG]

6. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    [​IMG] I totally forgot about the white lobes!

7. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Uhoh, somebody's getting old!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by