Which method to keep quail crowing to a minimum

I've currently got a set-up with 1 male and 1 female in a 1x3 cage, 1 male and 4 females in a 2x3 cage, 1 male and 3 females in a 2x3 cage, and 4 bachelors living together in a 4x4 cage. Everyone was content and quiet with just the occasional crow during the day until the boys started picking on the weaker one, so I separated him out to heal up. The next morning at 6 AM I woke up to that single one crowing his head off every 3 seconds non-stop, and all the other boys chiming in. In desperation I re-arranged the bachelor coop so they had more hiding places and put that one back in, and everything was quiet again.

In my experience, a happy quail is a quiet quail. The bachelors were fine until spring hormones kicked in, but the ones with their girls don't say much unless it's feeding time or there's a big disturbance like the one crowing constantly. If I were you, I'd separate them out into 3 equal groups and see how they do. Sometimes you've got to get the right female with the right male or the right group together, but once they've settled I'd think they would be more quiet. My 1:1 cage is because the female hates all other girls and will try to murder them for getting close to her man, but if it's just the two of them they hang out together no problem. Separate, look for personality clashes, and hopefully you can get them to calm down and give you some peace. Good luck.

I've currently got a set-up with 1 male and 1 female in a 1x3 cage, 1 male and 4 females in a 2x3 cage, 1 male and 3 females in a 2x3 cage, and 4 bachelors living together in a 4x4 cage. Everyone was content and quiet with just the occasional crow during the day until the boys started picking on the weaker one, so I separated him out to heal up. The next morning at 6 AM I woke up to that single one crowing his head off every 3 seconds non-stop, and all the other boys chiming in. In desperation I re-arranged the bachelor coop so they had more hiding places and put that one back in, and everything was quiet again.

In my experience, a happy quail is a quiet quail. The bachelors were fine until spring hormones kicked in, but the ones with their girls don't say much unless it's feeding time or there's a big disturbance like the one crowing constantly. If I were you, I'd separate them out into 3 equal groups and see how they do. Sometimes you've got to get the right female with the right male or the right group together, but once they've settled I'd think they would be more quiet. My 1:1 cage is because the female hates all other girls and will try to murder them for getting close to her man, but if it's just the two of them they hang out together no problem. Separate, look for personality clashes, and hopefully you can get them to calm down and give you some peace. Good luck.
Great advice! Thank you. I’ve added dividers and will be separating this weekend. Like I said, everyone seems to get along so hopefully it’s not too difficult to find the right groups!

Back
Top Bottom