Which one is better heating element or a bulb

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wilsonpaaul, Sep 1, 2010.

1. wilsonpaaul

wilsonpaaul New Egg

Aug 26, 2010
    Chennai
    Hi I made a new incubator with a heating element but the humidity did not raise above 40 even after enough water so please help me

2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I have never used a heating element. I made my incubator with a bulb, but here's a bump so maybe someone else can help.

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I have used multiple bulbs in mine it is easier to tweek the wattage so as to get the heat level right

4. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

I use 2 bulbs (each 5 watt) voltage in my country is 220 Volt.

I only need to turn 1 bulb on, 1 is a spare as reserved if I need to make it higher fast or if the main bulb down.

about humidity, if you want to raise it, just put napkin being watered using warm water inside your bator, voila the humidity raise quickly.

5. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    Have you tried adding any sponges? Usually, I wait for this in lockdown, but if you just added one small piece to add water to over time, it might give you that little boost to let you manage at around 45%. To get it up to the 65% range, I used four pieces (two sponges cut in half), one at each corner, well soaked. Good luck!

6. muddstopper

muddstopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Murphy NC
    If your heat is remaining stable and all you need to do is raise the humidity, then stick with which ever heat source you currently have. To raise humidity, buy some sponges and place in your water pan, with one end sticking out of the water. I have also used a rolled up pair of socks stuck down in the water pan. To increase humidity levels, all you need to do is increase the surface area of the water, you can use a larger pan, add sponges, towels, or even the rolled up socks to do this. (use clean socks) [​IMG]

7. wilsonpaaul

wilsonpaaul New Egg

Aug 26, 2010
    Chennai
    Hi thanks for the kind advice i have sorted the problem the problem is with the hydrometer which dosen show above 45

8. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:Sounds like you need another hygrometer!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by