1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

which ones not laying?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by clucker49, Sep 25, 2014.

1. clucker49

clucker49 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2014
    so I have 4 girls that should be laying and they look identical.not sure that they all are laying so whats the best way to find out?

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Well I've heard of a rather odd way to tell, some people use different colored lipstick, on each hen's "egg exit point: some of the color will come off on the egg and then you will know which hen did what. Of course, you discard the lipstick after that [​IMG]

Let us know if it works for you.

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Do they both lay in the same spot? If not then you can find out which one is laying by where she lays. Otherwise you may need to put them in a little confined area until one of them lays.

Good luck and glad you joined!

4. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Lipstick [​IMG]

Cannot imagine lipsticking a vent! Of course there is a lip balm " Chicken Poop" but it is colorless. When I see it at store check out displays, I always wonder what the main ingredient is?

5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Not being sarcastic, really.

But when you find 4 you will be sure.

Each chicken usually lays a same shape egg. Photo those you are collecting and you'll start to see a pattern. I have 6 gals, and can tell who laid them by size and shape, Had hen cam in coop and mine have enough different characteristics I can tell them apart..so knew who laid when. But which egg from who took examining the eggs.

6. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Sometimes it is hard to figure out at first unless you try the lipstick thing. But after they get their egg laying machines in gear, each hen will lay a different tone and shaped egg. Go hang out with them in the mornings to see who might be going into the nest boxes. But the lipstick idea is probably the best bet.

Good luck figuring this out and welcome to our flock!

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] I chose 4 different breeds to be my laying hens, they all have different colored eggs. You could try that :)

@drumstick diva you crack me up! Love your posts btw.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've never done it that way, but I suppose you can try drumstick diva's suggestion. :eek:) Let us know if it works. The only infallible way I know to determine which hen is laying and which egg is being laid by which hen is either catching them in the act or using a nest trap. If you are not familiar with nest traps, you can see one at https://www.strombergschickens.com/product/Chicken-Nest-Trap/nests-and-accessories. Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in figuring out who is laying.

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
  10. LIChickens

LIChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by