Which ones should go?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by chefchick, Sep 27, 2012.

1. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    I have a bunch of coturnix quail that are about 6 weeks old I can tell that the Jumbo Brown roos to hens ratio is very high, so we will be culling the extras. (there ar ealso a bunch of A&M that we will need to worry about later- I understand they are very hard to sex). My question is- How do you choose which ones go? I would like to keep raising them for meat and eggs, so do I cull the biggest ones? Or the smaller ones to help keep the "bigger" trait? I know nothing about quail genetics...

2. No matter what anyone says size matters...LOL.

3. Riffecreek

Riffecreek Chukar Junky

May 29, 2010
    Dunnville, Ky.
    lol!!

Start culling your smallest roos..

The way I do it is pick out the biggest hens to keep. then pick out half that amount of your biggest roos... what ever is left gets eaten!

4. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    The one should go are the noisy, small and defect.

5. chefchick

Jun 2, 2011
    Thank you... other than obvious defects like size and weird feet/beaks- what other bad traits should I look for? -- they are all noisy! I soundslike the monkey house at the zoo. Not kidding

6. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    Grumpiness. Seriously. I cull the ones that chase and beat up the others.

More obscure reasons: I've heard that you should cull the ones that are messy eaters to decrease the amount of feed wasted. Egg eaters should be culled as well.

7. chefchick

Jun 2, 2011
    The quail mansion is still not complete....so theyare still in the brooder onthe sunporch and are nearing maturity...there is plenty of space for them, it's huge, but not pretty when company comes. they just raise their eyebrows and look at me with sympathy. TG for window fans, butI am tired of cleaning the brooder every day. I swear... theyare going to reproduce out there before DH finishes their forever home....

8. quadchick77

quadchick77 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2012
    Tecumseh, Kansas
    I cull starting with the smallest males.

9. chefchick

Jun 2, 2011
    YAY! They ar efinally outdoors as of yesterday....I guess the fact that I found three eggs in there Thursday night and one of our guests noticed them doing the deed motivated hubby to finish their house. Now to butcher.... The browns boy/girl ratio stands at 12/8. the A & m... who knows. I guess I will have to figure that out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by