Which quails can perch? Which quails cannot perch?

bridgetchicken

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
I was researching about coturnix and read that they are unable to perch. However, bobwhite quails can perch. Does anybody have a complete list of quail breeds that can or cannot perch?

As far as I am aware of, Coturnix and Button quail don't have the flexibility in their toes to clasp on to a round limb or perch....doesn't keep them from trying though, :lau
All the New Workd quail, ie; Bob's, Blues, Gambles, Valleys and Mountain quail, can and will use perches or tree limbs but they usually don't use them for roosting, most quail prefer to roost on the ground. although, I have a few Tennessee Reds that roost on some perches I have for my pheasants (they are in the same pen as the pheasants) so I guess it's a learned response from watching the pheasants roost, it's up fairly high, too!

All the New Workd quail, ie; Bob's, Blues, Gambles, Valleys and Mountain quail, can and will use perches or tree limbs but they usually don't use them for roosting, most quail prefer to roost on the ground. although, I have a few Tennessee Reds that roost on some perches I have for my pheasants (they are in the same pen as the pheasants) so I guess it's a learned response from watching the pheasants roost, it's up fairly high, too!
That's interesting.
My Valleys make good use of their branches, I've never seen them roost on the ground.

Just because some of them can't "perch" doesn't mean they don't love to be off the ground, my buttons adore their hammocks 😁

This one is at max capacity 😂
20230129_161127.jpg

If ur wondering about space (height) going to waste with quail, if u make sure uve got some large platforms and spaces for them to flit up to and explore they'd quite happily make use of any added height.

Here's Twigz atop her tower 😌
20221111_190151.jpg

Back
Top Bottom