Which roo to keep?

ears73

Songster
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Westchester, NY
Hiya folks,

I have a Jersey Giant and a BLR Wyandotte in addition to 8 hens (araucana/americana & black star). I keep reading about aggressive roos that have competition with each other and not enough hens, etc. So I know I need to keep only one, but which one?

Husband is attached to the JG, who gets picked up lots and he also crowed first and lets it out first in the morning. He seems to be a cohesive part of the flock and is worried when the hens don't all go into the coop on time... He follows us around thinking we might have treats for him and most of the time he is a flock protector...

The wandotte is more of a loner and does not have a real loud crow. Sometimes he has a hen or two that follow him rather than the rest of the bunch, but he is fine by himself as well. He seems very easy mannered, but I realize this can change! He does not crow during the day, just in the morning in response to the JG's crowing. Both roos are coming up on sixteen weeks and neither one of them has started in on the hens yet. Also, the wyandotte does not like to be picked up. We have tried a little more recently, but since we thought he was a she for so long, we focused on making the first known roo agreeable to us.

So which to keep if we only keep one?? Not sure if we will have a brooder as black stars and ee/araucana/americanas are not really known sitters, so a daddy for hatching chicks is not a major factor (though I would LOVE to explore this side of chicken raising in the future). Will the JG just get louder and crow even more during the day? If we keep the wyandotte will he become louder when he realizes he is now the top roo? Has anyone had an aggressive BLR or JG?

Ahh, dilemmas..... We might even have to give up both roos anyhow, but the first one will go to keep the flock (and us!) as safe as possible.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!

It works best for me to allow the roo's to become the favorite one....usually for me the one that gets into trouble or becomes trouble has to go etc...til the best fit for my flock remains in the end.

If you only had one breed, and were working on improving the flock, then the best traits would have to be the reason for keeping him.

bigzio

Back
Top Bottom