Which Roo Would You Keep?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by drdoolittle, Jan 17, 2011.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I have several roos in my flock, and for the most part, they were all fine together, except for a newcomer BO (2 yrs.) who I keep in a separate pen with his 3 BO hens. Well, a couple weeks ago, my favorite roo, a barred rock cross----King Strut----was overthrown by my 10 mos. old Ameraucana, Peter. Now, another roo, 8 mos. old Araucana, has started joining in on the attacks. I am now keeping the 2 younger separated from the rest of the flock, as the hens seem to really prefer the older roo, and besides, he IS my favorite-------I just remember when I first got him how cute he was stamping his feet at me before he was even completely feathered out. My question is, will he still be protective enough of my hens----say, if a hawk should appear or something? He cowers in a corner of the coop whenever the other roos come after him. So, would you keep him and get rid of the others, or keep one of the other 2? I will be able to keep at least one of the other 2 if I sell my ducks (which I am trying to do for various reasons), because that will free up a pen.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I don't know your goals or your plans. My advice is to keep as few roosters as you can and still meet your goals. Which rooster depends on your goals.

How well will any of them defend the hens? I don't have a clue. Different circumstances, different reactions. I do think the one that is currently dominant assumes the lead protector role, but that does not mean other not-dominant roosters won't help or that other roosters won't takeover the lead protector role if they become the dominant one. It also does not mean that the dominant one will protect the others. I'm upset at my rooster right now. A pup came by yesterday and started chasing some hens. All the rooster did was cluck a warning. He should have taught that pup some respect for chickens. I'll keep him since I need him for fertility purposes, but as soon as a suitable son is old enough to replace him, that rooster is chicken broth.

I notice you have 30 chickens from your signature. Not sure how accutrate that is. But subtracting the three roosters plus the BO's, you still have too many hens (assuming the rest ar hens) for one rooster to be assured of keeping fertile.

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I would keep the one you like, the older one. My RIR was overthrown by his son that I didn't like and after I got rid of the son, my RIR is still very watchful over his flock.

4. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Keep the older one. Your hens already luv him and so do you. You might find the new up and coming could turn aggressive as age sets on .You and your females wont like that.

5. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Keep the one you like, especially if he gets along well with the hens and his temperament is good.

6. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Thanks for all the advice. I was planning on keeping the oldest roo with the majority of the flock and keeping a younger roo in a separate pen to breed with my EE hens. I also am keeping one silkie roo for a few silkie hens in another pen. I just hate to get rid of the 10 mos. old roo----he's the chicken my 12 yr. old son calls his. Oh, well, he can pick a diferent one!

7. >>"I notice you have 30 chickens from your signature. Not sure how accutrate that is. But subtracting the three roosters plus the BO's, you still have too many hens (assuming the rest ar hens) for one rooster to be assured of keeping fertile.

I have a question: How many roosters would you have for how many hens?

I have just inherited 14 chickens. Adults: 6 hems and a rooster, RIR. chicks: 1 hen and SIX roosters who are just now beginning to crow. I want to take the young ones to the locker plant (anyone know how much to process roosters?). Should I take all six, or keep one? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by