Which Rooster should I get rid of ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by misty7850, Nov 14, 2010.

1. misty7850

misty7850 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Fort Covington, NY
    I have 2 dark silkie roosters. Roo Boy I hatched from egg 2 years ago.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

they younger dark silkie I hatch from egg this year This one seems to be bearded while Roo boy is not.
    I would like some insight please
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If these were your roosters and you had to get rid of one, which would you chose to keep and why ?

Thanks all for your advice

2. jarodw45

jarodw45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Texas
    I like them both and would do everything I could to keep em both! But that wasn't your question was it? lol! I really like the bearded one the best but they are both beautiful boys. [​IMG]

3. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    are either of them aggressive? If not I would keep the bearded cuz I like them

4. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    i like the beared one

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Honestly Id only keep the second one as the head feathers are lacking on the first with a large comb-both cute but #2 is my choice:)

6. Yazzo

Yazzo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2010
    I would keep them both, if they get along (and roosters, contrary to popular belief, usually do). [​IMG]

7. Melei

Melei New Egg

Oct 30, 2010
    SE Kent, England
    I think number one looks gorgeous, he has soulful eyes. I hate the thought of either of them being chosen for the chop but no 1 had no votes at all [​IMG]

8. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Quote:X2--Unless #1 is a sweethart and #2 is a demon boy--I don't show any of my birds though and I do have kids that are often in contact with my freeranging flock so I'm sure I put a higher premium on non-aggresive (to people) roos then someone who shows and doesn't need to worry about their kids getting attacked.

9. misty7850

misty7850 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Fort Covington, NY
    Thanks everyone for your inputs, it such a hard decision to make, sigh.. Roo boy who is 2 years old it very gentle, the bearded silkie was hatched this past spring and so far seems gentle.

I already have the following roosters I hatched from eggs this spring, so they are up and coming into their roo's they are
    1 white silkie
    1 partridge silkie
    1 black Cochin

I don't want to end up with more roosters than hens.. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by