Which rooster should I get?

If your breeding then it would be good to stay away from bantams since they are too small to fertilize large hens. You should get one that’s the same breed as your hens so you can have purebreds.
I also wasn't going to get super far into breeding because we live on 2 1/2 acres, so we have a max capacity space. Just wanted to try it out a couple of times.

Does breeding one large hen breed with other large hen breed crossbreed into a hybrid chick? Like say if I took my lavender Orpington and mixed it with an olive egger, would that make a mix?
Yes, any breed that’s mixed with another breed makes it a crossbreed. Olive eggers are not pure, they are already a mix. Easter eggers are also mixes. If you did an orpington x orpington it would be pure since they are the same breed.

Yes, any breed that’s mixed with another breed makes it a crossbreed. Olive eggers are not pure, they are already a mix. Easter eggers are also mixes. If you did an orpington x orpington it would be pure since they are the same breed.
So is a silkie a purebred? Starting to lean towards just getting a few straight runs of those now.

I like Isbars roosters, great feather color (Blue) good egg gene (mint green) and med sized rooster, so no track marks on a hen. Non-aggressive breed.

So 2 purebreds = a cross bred. I'll have to research some more to find out which of mine are pure and which are cross.
Here’s how it works, I’ll use a silkie and Brahma as an example.

Silkie x silkie = purebred

Silkie x Brahma (a Brahma is a pure) = crossbreed

An Easter egger and an olive egger are made by mixing different breeds so they are cross breeds.

Docile/ non aggressive roosters. On BYC, have consistently seen many comments on Docile male Orpingtons, and docile male Salmon Faverolle.

we have female buff orpingtons -calm, good personalities although one was a bit flighty. We have had a few SF females, from two sources - the most chill, laid back chickens we’ve ever encountered...all of them. We had a male SF for about 5-6 months, also calm and was not aggressive nor a push-over in the pen with 14 other males of same age, various breeds.

we’ve had many aggressive male cockerels, of breeds never mentioned for calmness. For example all 3 Marans males (one black copper, one blue copper, and one splash) were all quite aggressive within the flock, but they were young and hormonal too.

Here’s how it works, I’ll use a silkie and Brahma as an example.

Silkie x silkie = purebred

Silkie x Brahma (a Brahma is a pure) = crossbreed

An Easter egger and an olive egger are made by mixing different breeds so they are crossbreeds.
I think I get it now... I think I will just place another order for June or something for some bantam hens and a bantam rooster or two from MPC so I can get to work! Thank you so much for your help:)

Back
Top Bottom