Which rooster should we keep?

Courtkneekp

Chirping
Sep 23, 2020
Important information first:

We have 10 grown laying hens(EE, australorps and a white leghorn). We are adding a dark Brahma and another white leghorn. So in total we’ll have 12 girls. I only want to keep one rooster.

We have a 10 month old FBCM who is sweet as can be and takes care of his ladies, but he’s bigger than them and has been causing them to lose feathers on their backs.

We recently found out that a polish mix chick that we got is actually a cockerel.
Should we stick with the FBCM or rehome him and keep the smaller cockerel? Any thoughts?

Attachments

• 455F9C2C-58C7-40A9-B361-F477D62B64C5.jpeg
    455F9C2C-58C7-40A9-B361-F477D62B64C5.jpeg
    615.7 KB · Views: 22
  • EB6708EC-628B-460F-9A20-8F742265025B.jpeg
    EB6708EC-628B-460F-9A20-8F742265025B.jpeg
    840.9 KB · Views: 12
I prefer to keep a smaller rooster, but on size ratio, a bigger to less hens (1:8-12) and a smaller to more hens (1:12-18). Being Polish, I suggest seeing how he does with the flock and if they're ok with him. Sometimes, it's best to ask the hens who they prefer. ;)

Can't you keep them both? A flock with more 7+ hens can have about 2-3 roos! They both looks adorable!
I’d love to! But I’m afraid the bigger one will bully the smaller one. They’re separated right now because we have our grow-outs in a separate coop/run.
We may end up keeping both honestly 😂 I can’t stand the thought of one of them ending up at freezer camp 🥺

I prefer to keep a smaller rooster, but on size ratio, a bigger to less hens (1:8-12) and a smaller to more hens (1:12-18). Being Polish, I suggest seeing how he does with the flock and if they're ok with him. Sometimes, it's best to ask the hens who they prefer. ;)
I didn’t even think about asking the girls 😂 I’m in no rush! So that may be the plan. I just don’t want my little fluffy boy to be bullied by the big boy 😂

I didn’t even think about asking the girls 😂 I’m in no rush! So that may be the plan. I just don’t want my little fluffy boy to be bullied by the big boy 😂
That's understandable. :) One of the reasons why you should check with the hens, is some hens might not like the Polish's crest, and might try plucking it, or bullying him around.

That's understandable. :) One of the reasons why you should check with the hens, is some hens might not like the Polish's crest, and might try plucking it, or bullying him around.
Thank you! One of the grow outs(that are going to my in-law’s) is picking on him now, but they should be going to their new home tomorrow thankfully!

If you like the BCM, keep him.
Feather breakage has ore to do with technique than size.
....and some birds have weak/brittle feathers that are more prone to breakage.
Trimming his toe nails might help.
Oh thank you! That is good to know. We love our BCM, but I was afraid he was too big for our EE and White Leghorn girls. 😬

hopefully he gets better with practice. As of right now, I have lots of half-naked hens wearing aprons 😅

The little fuzzy one is so cute, though! He just started crowing this morning lol. Maybe the boys can get along and we can keep both 🥺

Back
Top Bottom