Which rooster??

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I have 2 roosters and I have to get rid of one. I thought I knew which one i wanted to get rid of since one was more aggressive but than I integrated them and some other pullets with my other chickens and there isn't one that is more nicer or better than the other like before. Now, I just don't know. Do I want that will walk around my other older chickens without a lot of fear? Both of them have let me hold them for a very short time. I have heard from some people you want one that is distant and a little more aggressive just not at you and then some seem to want there rooster to be able to handle being held. I have no clue now. i don't want to get rid of either but i have no choice. One rooster to ten chickens. Any info, suggestions or opinions would be great.

I'd get rid of the aggressive one and make sure the other one knows who the boss of the flock is (you!). Never back down from a roo.

But now that they've been integrated neither is really more aggresive. Sometimes I think one handles being held better but... Should it make a difference that one is bigger than the other or that neither really go around my older chickens more than the other? What would be your criteria for a rooster?

I'd keep the one you like the best, so long as he's not aggressive. It's really hard to tell what a rooster is going to act like when there is more than one.
I was really worried when I wanted to re-home my alpha rooster because although I preferred the other, subordinate rooster he wasn't very good with the girls.
Once I got the alpha out of his way, my sub. roo turned into the perfect gentleman for my girls.

Back
Top Bottom