Which should i choose?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by brooster, Oct 7, 2007.

1. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I want to get 2 more chickens, but cant decide between 3 ( well really 4) I want the sweetest hens that are also very hardy. I cant decide between Black Australops,Barred Rocks or Dominiques, and Americanas. Help me decide, and dont tell me to get all 3 . [​IMG]

2. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    splurge, get one of all 4. or whatever ones are the easiest.

3. Heidi

Heidi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2007
    Northwest Michigan
    Personally, my ameracaunas are sweeter then the other three, but my barred rocks are a close second. My austrolorps are pretty anti-social - they do squat for me though. I don't have any dominques. Good luck deciding.

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I can only speak to the Australorps as I haven't had the others. Our five girls all let my children pick them up and 'play' with them every day. They are very sweet and always come running when I call.

5. howlingwoodsfarm

howlingwoodsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

from my experience here is my list of nicest

Black australorps
    Americanas
    Barred Rocks
    Dominique

I currently own all 4 and this is how mine go. all will be different though, none of mine are mean and will come up to me and follow me around but I notice slight differences between the breeds, so to me all are good, I say go by other features. australorps tend to be broody, americanas MIGHT lay colored(green/blue) eggs. and barred rocks and dominiques look pretty darn close to each other.. americanas can come in any color so that is kinda a neat surprise to see what you get and to see what color egg they will lay.

Heather

6. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    Out of your birds which is the pretiest?

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    A-LORPS.
    BR's, second choice.

8. hollyclyff

hollyclyff Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    NC
    I have three of those breeds. Well I have an EE, not a real, purebred Ameraucana. Out of my particular birds, my preference is the Dominique, followed by the EE and then the Australorp. My Dominique is like a lapdog, she's so friendly. I'd have her as a house pet if I could. The EE is a character and has a lot of personality, but isn't cuddly like the Dominique. My Australorp is my least friendly bird of all. She's not mean, just shy I guess.

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Well, I say get buff orpingtons. [​IMG] They are very sweet and cold hardy. So if you can't decide go a totally different route. [​IMG]

I like the EEer's, they are pretty, and it's kinda exciting to see what color egg they will lay. But mine aren't friendly much at all. I got them at 7 weeks, and don't think they were handled much.

10. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    My new EE is really sweet. She falls alseep in my lap. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by