Which should i choose?

brooster

Songster
12 Years
Jun 14, 2007
northwest Ohio
I want to get 2 more chickens, but cant decide between 3 ( well really 4) I want the sweetest hens that are also very hardy. I cant decide between Black Australops,Barred Rocks or Dominiques, and Americanas. Help me decide, and dont tell me to get all 3 .
smile.png

Personally, my ameracaunas are sweeter then the other three, but my barred rocks are a close second. My austrolorps are pretty anti-social - they do squat for me though. I don't have any dominques. Good luck deciding.

I can only speak to the Australorps as I haven't had the others. Our five girls all let my children pick them up and 'play' with them every day. They are very sweet and always come running when I call.

from my experience here is my list of nicest

Black australorps
Americanas
Barred Rocks
Dominique

I currently own all 4 and this is how mine go. all will be different though, none of mine are mean and will come up to me and follow me around but I notice slight differences between the breeds, so to me all are good, I say go by other features. australorps tend to be broody, americanas MIGHT lay colored(green/blue) eggs. and barred rocks and dominiques look pretty darn close to each other.. americanas can come in any color so that is kinda a neat surprise to see what you get and to see what color egg they will lay.

Heather

I have three of those breeds. Well I have an EE, not a real, purebred Ameraucana. Out of my particular birds, my preference is the Dominique, followed by the EE and then the Australorp. My Dominique is like a lapdog, she's so friendly. I'd have her as a house pet if I could. The EE is a character and has a lot of personality, but isn't cuddly like the Dominique. My Australorp is my least friendly bird of all. She's not mean, just shy I guess.

Well, I say get buff orpingtons.
big_smile.png
They are very sweet and cold hardy. So if you can't decide go a totally different route.
big_smile.png

I like the EEer's, they are pretty, and it's kinda exciting to see what color egg they will lay. But mine aren't friendly much at all. I got them at 7 weeks, and don't think they were handled much.

Back
Top Bottom