1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Which technique is more accurate...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RellaBean2, Jul 29, 2016.

1. RellaBean2

RellaBean2 Just Hatched

Jun 28, 2016
    ...in sexing ducks? I purchased 4 rouens at the end of April at only a few days old. I am positive that I have one drake and at least 2 hens (I have posted about this before...) The other one looks like a hen and quacks like a hen but its bill has started to turn an olive green shade. That was the first indication on my drake before he started getting his adult feathers.

Wouldn't it be on the same feathering schedule as the others? If she was in fact a he wouldn't he have the green head, white stripe, and brown chest that my other drake has?

Could "he" be a late bloomer? Does bill color really matter? Does the quack say it all?
    I am so confused. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 29, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    'He/she' is sending mixed signals for sure. Only time will tell the truth as to gender.

3. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.... ;)

4. RellaBean2

RellaBean2 Just Hatched

Jun 28, 2016

Ha! That's what I thought until the bill started to change.

5. RellaBean2

RellaBean2 Just Hatched

Jun 28, 2016
    Here's a pic
    [​IMG]

6. sallysinnamon

sallysinnamon Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    south eastern
    Don't know if it'll help any.. I've had females with dark bills and light bills. Actually more dark than light bills. Sometimes it helped me tell them apart! If it's definitely quacking good chance it's a female..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by