Which water nipple set up to choose?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Buttercup Chillin, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    Ok, My DH is in the thinking stage of setting up a semi-automatic watering system for me and my little hoard of quail and their cages. Setting up simple, water bucket with tubing or PVC, what ever. Right now, I have Pop Bottle drinkers, glass bottle with nipple, chick waterers and you name it.

He is looking at the orange cups and I am thinking they would be good for the chickens, maybe not so much the quail.

But its the type nipple that I am wanting to know what you guys like best for the babies, the growout pens and the breeder pens if different. Different nipples or all the same?

So which ones do you like and which ones did you try and didn't like or are intending to change????????

Don't mind spending some money, but don't want to waste any either. Don't want to waste water either for that matter, but my birds are outside if that comes into the decision. With a roof over them.

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    I Have The Red Cup Type From Gqf And Have For Many Years. They Work Quite Well--- Cost An Arm And A Leg, But Work Well [​IMG]

3. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    That's the ones he's looking to buy. We have hard water that seems to be getting harder each year.

Would this set up be easy for me (not him) to take off and put back on so I can soak them in warm vinegar?
    I can see this happening several times a year once its set up. I'll get extra's for switching out.

4. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    I have the chicken nipples like this:
    http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplie...ering_systems-ft1_hoses_nipples;pgwc1030.html
    both my chickens and quails use them from day olds to adults

I also have pop bottle waterers in some parts of my pens.

Depending on the setup both are quite good systems. the nipple system can be emptied and nipples removed to soak I believe but as we do not have hard water here I am not sure.

My nipple water system only cost about $3 per nipple (I use 1 nipple per 2 birds) and I got the pvc and bucket etc for free as scrap or etc.
    For that price buy 50 nipples and replace as needed.
    Be sure to search around as I don't think farmtek is the cheapest

5. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    btw that is $3 per nipple including the cost of shipping the nipples themselves where just under 2

6. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:THE CUP TYPE NEVER SEEM TO CRUST UP. BELIEVE ME OUR WATER IS HARDER THAN YOURS AND THE SYSTEM IS WELL OVER 10 YRS OLD AND WORKS FLAWLESSLY SAVE FOR AN OCCAISIONAL ALGEA BUILD UP. I PERSONALLY DONT USE THE NIPPLE SYSTEMS AS I HAVE FOUND THEY DO CRUST UP AS WELL AS STICK OPEN, BUT WORST OF ALL HERE IN THE SOUTH IS THE CONSTANT DRIP. NOT ONLY WILL THEY BURN THRU ALOT MORE WATER AND PROVIDE LESS TO THE BIRDS, BUT THEY ALSO LEAVE WET SPOTS CHRONICALLY IN OR UNDER THE PENS WHICH AS UNCLE MURPHY WILL DICTATE WILL BE RIGHT WHERE ANY FOOD IS DROPPED MOST OFTEN.... WETNESS+ WASTE FEED= SERIOUS MUCK THAT ONLY CONTINUES TO GET WORSE ---- ATTRACTS INSECTS AND LARVAE, SMELLS, ADDS TO YOUR MESS TO CLEAN UP AND COMPLICATES LIFE GREATLY THRU INCONVIENIENCE IF NOTHING ELSE. I'LL PASS ON THE NIPPLE SYSTEM NO MATTER HOW REASONABLE THEY ARE ( IN FACT I ALREADY HAVE 2 THAT I DONT/WONT USE.) I HAVE RECENTLY SEEN THE CUP SYSTEMS ON EBAY, MAY WANT TO CHECK THERE BEFORE YOU BUY SOMEWHERE ELSE

7. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Quote:THE CUP TYPE NEVER SEEM TO CRUST UP. BELIEVE ME OUR WATER IS HARDER THAN YOURS AND THE SYSTEM IS WELL OVER 10 YRS OLD AND WORKS FLAWLESSLY SAVE FOR AN OCCAISIONAL ALGEA BUILD UP. I PERSONALLY DONT USE THE NIPPLE SYSTEMS AS I HAVE FOUND THEY DO CRUST UP AS WELL AS STICK OPEN, BUT WORST OF ALL HERE IN THE SOUTH IS THE CONSTANT DRIP. NOT ONLY WILL THEY BURN THRU ALOT MORE WATER AND PROVIDE LESS TO THE BIRDS, BUT THEY ALSO LEAVE WET SPOTS CHRONICALLY IN OR UNDER THE PENS WHICH AS UNCLE MURPHY WILL DICTATE WILL BE RIGHT WHERE ANY FOOD IS DROPPED MOST OFTEN.... WETNESS+ WASTE FEED= SERIOUS MUCK THAT ONLY CONTINUES TO GET WORSE ---- ATTRACTS INSECTS AND LARVAE, SMELLS, ADDS TO YOUR MESS TO CLEAN UP AND COMPLICATES LIFE GREATLY THRU INCONVIENIENCE IF NOTHING ELSE. I'LL PASS ON THE NIPPLE SYSTEM NO MATTER HOW REASONABLE THEY ARE ( IN FACT I ALREADY HAVE 2 THAT I DONT/WONT USE.) I HAVE RECENTLY SEEN THE CUP SYSTEMS ON EBAY, MAY WANT TO CHECK THERE BEFORE YOU BUY SOMEWHERE ELSE

Maybe it is the hard water in your area, mine never leak.

8. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Lemme Clarify--- The Algea Grows In The Reservior Bucket And Clear Supply Tubing That Runs From Bucket To Cup. Its Easily Remedied By Disconnecting The Farthest Cup From The Bucket, Jam The Garden Hose Up Against The Tubing Tight And Flow Water With As Much Pressure As You Can.... This Flushes All The Algea Growth Back Thru The System To The Reservior Bucket Which Can Then Be Disconnected And Emptied/ Scrubbed If Needed. Whole Thing Take 3 Minutes To Accomplish. So Yeah Edith I Think You Should Be Capable Of Maintaining It As Needed. Its Relatively Simple Once You Do It A Time Or 2. [​IMG]

9. Rainwolf

Rainwolf De La Menagerie

Aug 4, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    My Coop
    Quote:sounds just like my gravity nipple waterer. I empty the bucket unscrew the nipples and use hose pressure to blast the pipe clean. If bucket gets dirty I just scrub with a brush and rinse. my bucket has a lid with 2 small air vent holes that i places bug screen over. this makes it next to impossible for bugs to get into and prevents any debris getting inside.

Both systems work well if used correctly but the main factor I would check on is hard water and its affects.

10. JJMR794

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    In My Area "hard Water" Would Be An Improvement [​IMG] We Have Some Of The Hardest Water On The Continent. Calcium Levels Are Off The Charts. Urologists Love It Tho ( Lotsa Kidney Stone Patients [​IMG] )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by