Which wormer would you say is the best?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dani813, Dec 25, 2008.

1. dani813

dani813 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    My larger hens were born March 31st of this year and I've read that you should give them wormers twice a year. Not knowing anything about wormers, is there any on the market that are better than others?

2. notsooldmcdonald

notsooldmcdonald Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Lempster, NH
    I have had really good luck with Ivomec Eprinex. It has a short withdrawl (they claim "no withdrawl", but I feel it's safer to wait a week afterward) period and it's really easy to apply.

It's pretty broad spectrum, but I know it doesn't treat for all kinds of worms.

-C

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If you suspect worms, take a fecal sample to the vet and find out what they have. The best wormer would be the one which treats for the worms the vet finds.

I've never wormed my chickens in the 10+ years I've had them. It's personal preference if you treat bi annually, but I rather not if they don't show signs of any problems, as wormers are just another poison enough to kill the worms and not the birds.

4. Blondie

Blondie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mix diatomaceous earth with the food. It a natural fossil substance that takes care of pests - internally and externally.

5. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Or use flax seed, you can still eat the eggs. With DE as well.

Cheri

Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  6. I worm with Wazine. A few separate times a few days apart. It gets the roundworms that are the most common in chickens.

7. dani813

dani813 Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    Thank you everyone for your help. I don't suspect worms, I thought it was another way to keep the flock healthy. Are there any signs when they do have worms?

8. J. Jamison

J. Jamison Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2008
    NE Arkansas
    Will flax seed really worm chickens? What is DE?

9. chicksalot

chicksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2008
    WI
    Quote:I would like more info on the flax seed angle...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by