which would be a good breed

bexnd

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 18, 2012
hi i've recently got an incubator and im planing on incubating some duck eggs but have wanted a goose for a while but dont know to much about the different breeds temperament wise. wondered if anyone can help me out with the best breed for me. im looking to keep this as a pet so no real bother about laying or breeding etc but i need something laid back, friendly and preferably quiet as i have alot of nighbours also could you tell me if the breed can fly or not i wouldnt mind either way just want to know if i need precuasions lol

o right ok thanx might think about next yr then :) when do they start laying

to be honest would have prob ended up to be next yr anyway as i have reptile eggs in the incubator for the next 2 months or so lol but still interested in finding out different breeds etc so i can read a bit about them

My personal favorite are dewlap toulouse. They are slow, quiet, calm-headed and sweet. Buff dewlaps have stopped laying, but grey dewlaps are still available for a little while longer. Look for ebay seller indigoseptember (has an active listing) or contact [email protected] (her ebay seller name is ratitemomma but not sure she is listing now on ebay). You can also buy grey goslings from Carole if you do not want to attempt hatching eggs.

I've heard good things about Pilgrim Geese, temperament wise, though I personally dont have any experience with them. I think they're also not as loud as other breeds.

thanx i shall put some extra research into these breeds the dewlap toulouse seems like a huge deep girthed bird how are they at keeping clean?? and are they more agile than they look i assume this breed doesnt fly.

Dewlap Toulouse true to the SOP are very low to the ground, slow and clumbsy. They dont wonder far from home either. Because of their size and weight they have special needs for their pool, and of course you dont want them having to climb steps into their house.

Sebastopols have a quiet/calm personality and beautiful feathers too. They are often bullied by other breeds though. Their curls break off during breeding season and regrow each year. They need clean water to keep the curls in the best shape possible.

American geese are a smooth goose, fairly calm, widely available so not as costly as the above mentioned breeds.

There are other calm breeds, and it all depends on what appeals to you.

Pomeranians are a good choice as well. If you want a calm breed I would stay away from Chinese and Africans.

Goose behavior is more about training than breed. It also matters where you get your geese. Some breeders place a heavy emphasis on temperament, and some breeders don't.

Back
Top Bottom