Which would you sacrifice, chickens or peas?

My answer would be this...Which do you want to feed, your stomach or your soul? 

Well i feed  chickens to my dogs and they have eaten peafowl also when one passes as well as ducks geese and guineas but i rely on my chickens to feed my dogs and family and the eggs are fed to my peas and young birds that need more protein in their diet.
So i need the chickens but i want the peas :old

Do your dogs eat the peafowl raw? :oops:

Yes but i kept the feathers so i skinned them.
Chickens get put on a fire i build then taken off after they have cooked a bit and burrned off the feathers.
This is great for keeping the dogs in the woods expanding the safe zone because any time i start a fire out there they go hang in the woods hopping for chicken dinner even if they have one right on front of them .

I want to feed my soul with my peas and feed my stomach with my ducks, turkeys and sheep.
gig.gif
Lol! Yup, all but the sheep. Don't have any of them.

My answer would be this...Which do you want to feed, your stomach or your soul?
this whole thread is fascinating :) ...but this comment struck a chord, and gave me a dozen new q.s, (i'll only ask a few!)

can you/don't you eat peahen eggs? (and do they have an egg song?)
do your peafowl and chickens seem to get along? (i'd like to feed my belly AND my being!)
and what made everyone choose peacocks?

& kuntrygirl, that is the cutest little (now big)bird!!!!! name? i love the idea of bringing around with you and letting others handle.

this whole thread is fascinating :) ...but this comment struck a chord, and gave me a dozen new q.s, (i'll only ask a few!)

can you/don't you eat peahen eggs? (and do they have an egg song?)
do your peafowl and chickens seem to get along? (i'd like to feed my belly AND my being!)
and what made everyone choose peacocks?

& kuntrygirl, that is the cutest little (now big)bird!!!!! name? i love the idea of bringing around with you and letting others handle.
Me too, lol! I've only had Peas since late August, early Sept., but I have fallen in love with them. I have yet to go through the mating season with them but watching them with their last Spring babies, which I also have, is a joy. The mother is ever attentive to her babies and constantly shows them what to do and what not to do. Her son is getting to the stage of presenting and dancing, lol and she always makes of him when he does. Even though he still has no train to show. His sisters on the other hand....They 'present' right back at him as if to say big deal, I can do it too!

My Peas don't seem to mind the chickens at all, they tolerate them as they 'know' they are a superior form of life, lol. I have mine house with Heritage Turkeys for the winter and there is a lot of pen pacing between the two. Nothing serious, but to head anything off, I got a piece of clear roofing to mount on the wall between them so there'll be no picking through the chicken wire.

I don't see why you couldn't eat the eggs. I read someplace, can't remember where, that at the feast of a king, a peacock was roasted and then redressed in it's plumage and stuffed with grains, herbs and pea eggs. Must have been something to see but for now, I'll pass. I am too fasinated by the family interactions and the peafowl in general to want to roast any of them.

I would have to say chickens because they're more affectionate. Except recently I had to take one of my pea chicks inside because another peahen wanted to kill him. It was lonely so I bought to pullets to live with him. Now he's grown and enjoys as much cuddling as the chickens. Not only that, I never realized how smart peafowl could be. Since he's not nervous around us, in the least, he figures out all kinds of ways to sneak into the house.

I would have to say chickens because they're more affectionate. Except recently I had to take one of my pea chicks inside because another peahen wanted to kill him. It was lonely so I bought to pullets to live with him. Now he's grown and enjoys as much cuddling as the chickens. Not only that, I never realized how smart peafowl could be. Since he's not nervous around us, in the least, he figures out all kinds of ways to sneak into the house.
That's great he's not afraid of you.

Back
Top Bottom