Which Yogurt To Feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by juliect, Aug 7, 2009.

1. juliect

juliect Songster

Jul 9, 2009
    Niota, TN
    Full fat, low fat, or fat free? Probably a dumb question...but I've heard that full fat is easier for humans to digest, because it is processed less & closer to natural. Just wondered if it made a difference to chickens.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I feed the low fat plain yogurt. That's the only type of plain yogurt available around here.

3. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

I usually make my own. When I run out, and have to go buy some, I get the lowfat plain yogurt.

Bluemoon

4. lovemychix

lovemychix Songster

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    The no fat stuff is the best but I give the other to mine. [​IMG] I like my hens fat. [​IMG] but not too fat. Mine all go broody so I guess they need it right. [​IMG]

5. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I buy mine at Aldi which is a cheap grocery store. (I don't know if you have something like that by you.) I buy the "Fit-N-Active" brand. Nonfat plain yogurt with Vitamins A & D added. It has 45% fewer caleries than regular lowfat yogurt. I actually think it tastes better than other lowfat yogurts, such as "Dannon" or "Kemps". It's smoother.

6. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Songster

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    So, only plain yogurt. You can't feed them any of the flavored like strawberry?

7. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    You could feed them any flavor. It's just plain is...healthier. Less sugar...that kind of thing. They would like to have sugar every day if you would let them.

8. Bluemoon420

Bluemoon420 The Rooster Queen

Quote:Instead of flavored you can mix in some fruit.
    I mix in frozen chopped seedless grapes sometimes. I sometimes put in watermelon ( they eat the seeds too.) with their yogurt. I've also given them honeydew melons mixed in with the yogurt. Whatever I have on hand at the time.
    They don't get the fruit all the time, but they LOVE it.

Bluemoon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: