Whimpering/whinning after laying first egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by acb950, Sep 30, 2012.

1. acb950

acb950 New Egg

May 9, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    So my Easter Egger just laid her (and mine) first egg this morning around 11am. I took it out shortly after she laid the egg, probably by 10 give or take minutes. Anyway, I went back outside around 12:45 to hear a whimpering/whinning to find out it was her and she was under a bush. She came out, ate some grass an feed but has continued to constantly make this sound with any occasional loud peep/hiccup noise. Is this normal? Is she OK? Did I take the egg too soon from the nesting box? Any help please, as the kids and I (even our dog who thinks she is their mother) are all worried. Thanks in advance.

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Unless the egg was enormous there should be nothing wrong. She may just have to get used to the facts of egg laying. Most do just lay and forget without any problems. If she was acting normal be for she laid then I'd just watch her for a while.

3. acb950

acb950 New Egg

May 9, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks for response. She seems fine now. I guess she was just trying to realize what just happened and it took her awhile. Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by