whistling chicken??

Beez

In the Brooder
Aug 24, 2020
Our little bantam Floofy is suddenly making whistling noises during both inhale and exhale. I can't see any obstructions but she won't really hold still for me to look down her throat. Her nostrils (are they called nostrils? IDK) seem clear. Anyone know what might be going on? It happened overnight. Is there anything I can do to diagnose it and/or alleviate this? She is such a sweet little girl and I want her to be happy, healthy. She's about 7 months old and just started laying the cutest tiny eggs.

Last edited:
Our little bantam Floofy is suddenly making whistling / labored breathing noises during both inhale and exhale. She's about 7 months old and was fine yesterday. I can't see any obstructions but she won't really hold still for me to look down her throat. Her nostrils (are they called nostrils? IDK) seem clear but not sure - that looks like a complicated area. She is also shaking her head ~regularly as if attempting to shake something out - almost seems like a hic up. Anyone know what might be going on? It happened overnight. Is there anything I can do to diagnose it and/or alleviate this? She is such a sweet little girl and I want her to be happy, healthy. She has daily access to an outside yard and the coop is well ventilated. She is up on a roost at night but is using a common nest box to lay eggs - which I just cleaned. I gave her some probiotics and have her separated for now. I am really worried because her breathing seems pretty labored. She is fed organic crumble and for treats she has been eating some organic scratch, apples, sunflower seeds, & blackberries occasionally.

Our little bantam Floofy is suddenly making whistling noises during both inhale and exhale. I can't see any obstructions but she won't really hold still for me to look down her throat. Her nostrils (are they called nostrils? IDK) seem clear. Anyone know what might be going on? It happened overnight. Is there anything I can do to diagnose it and/or alleviate this? She is such a sweet little girl and I want her to be happy, healthy. She's about 7 months old and just started laying the cutest tiny eggs.
Our little bantam Floofy is suddenly making whistling / labored breathing noises during both inhale and exhale. She's about 7 months old and was fine yesterday. I can't see any obstructions but she won't really hold still for me to look down her throat. Her nostrils (are they called nostrils? IDK) seem clear but not sure - that looks like a complicated area. She is also shaking her head ~regularly as if attempting to shake something out - almost seems like a hic up. Anyone know what might be going on? It happened overnight. Is there anything I can do to diagnose it and/or alleviate this? She is such a sweet little girl and I want her to be happy, healthy. She has daily access to an outside yard and the coop is well ventilated. She is up on a roost at night but is using a common nest box to lay eggs - which I just cleaned. I gave her some probiotics and have her separated for now. I am really worried because her breathing seems pretty labored. She is fed organic crumble and for treats she has been eating some organic scratch, apples, sunflower seeds, & blackberries occasionally.
Can you get a video of her? Upload to youtube and provide a link.

I would try to get a hold of her and look inside her beak for obstruction. Get a helper if you are unable to control her by yourself.

Is there anything I can do to diagnose it and/or alleviate this?

If you do not see anything obstructing her throat this whistling sound might be caused by an infection of the larynx. To alleviate you could brew her a nice tea consisting of oregano thyme, sage and aniseed. Let it steep for one hour and serve lukewarm instead of water. You may add some honey too.

thanks LaFleche. I tried giving her fresh herbs but she didn't want them. Good idea to make into a tea. I've also been reading about apple cider vinegar & garlic in the water. Or a little olive oil and lots of folks suggesting VetRX. Any experience with VetRX? She sounds pretty bad now.

Thanks Wyorp Rock. I looked into her beak and a little ways down her throat & can't see anything. I'll try to get a video. Have you ever tried VetRX for breathing issues? I also reading about fresh herbs, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar but I'm pretty nervous for her. She's so small and her breathing sounds so tough :(

apple cider vinegar & garlic in the water. Or a little olive oil and lots of folks suggesting VetRX. Any experience with VetRX?

From my experience the tea works just fine.

I would not mix all these above mentioned things together, but treat her with one remedy and wait 4 days for success. If she is not better, try the next and so on.

Back
Top Bottom