Whitch roo to keep, argh. this is harder than I thought

pattgal

Songster
9 Years
Apr 20, 2010
New Brunswick, Canada
Ok so i knew i would end up with more than one roo. Ive got 10EE's and three look like roos to me. they are only a few weeks old and clearly have taller redder combs than the rest
the older one "Jack" is white with the odd black feather here and there and rumpless. I didn't much like him at first but the ladies do. He is attempting to crow so its definite

the second younger one "Nedgar" is all black rumpless type. I would have picked him but im kinda starting to like Jack now too
the third one has nothing to offer so it will go (dosen't even have a name yet)

my original thought was to keep the prettier one for breeding, but seeing how good Jack is to the flock i don't know which one to keep. He's kinda growing on me
my hens are mostly all white. I would like to add some color to the flock by breeding them with the most different of them all

I guess this is all really premature but will i be able to keep two roos with 6 hens and 4 silkies (not sexed yet) in one coop, winter and all

I know what you mean. I got 10 SLW 'packing peanuts' and one of my BO pullets that I ordered is a roo (I think, they're just 5 wks old). I'm only keeping 4 BOs at the house and the rest are going to live on our property in the country about 3 miles away with our other chickens, 9 black sex links. There's lots of predators out there so it would make sense to keep the most protective roos. I'll keep the BO roo because he's so sweet, but IDK on the SLWs!

Back
Top Bottom