White algae in tank

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by EweSheep, Nov 16, 2011.

1. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    What is that white stuff in the fish tank...the only area I see them on are the suction cups on the heater. What's up with that?

Had the water tested...it was fine all around except the hardiness. The heat is around 82 degrees in the water.

Fish has no ill effects, nor does it have ick.

2. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    The white stuff I get in my fish tank is from the hardness of the water. It's just a mineral build up. To get it off the side of the tank usually requires a razor blade. I haven't always had luck getting it off things that were not glass. A good scrubbing with a sponge may help a bit though.

3. Squishy

Squishy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Florida
    With the locale of it and your hardiness, its most likely the mineral deposits that Chickerdoodle mentioned.

It could also be clouds of good bacteria if the tank is insufficiently cycled.

It could also be other aquarium organisms, like planaria and other wormy things.

4. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Planaria worms are usually in the substrate or free floating in the water column and are often due to incredible overfeeding and a build up of organic matter. It doesn't sound like that is the case here.

Even in water that is not hard - the black plastic suction cups will turn white or have a "whitish film" on them. Neither that, nor the white film on your heater is anything to be concerned about.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by