White Australorp colour genetics

jonnydot

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 4, 2011
Interested in breeding white australorps can any one guide me as to do this? via useing a splash?

Last edited:
I've never seen anyone try that. Australorps are dominant black mainly so if one wanted a similar white bird, they probably just get white orpingtons. At least that would be a place to start.

Quote:
The white orpington is an excellent suggestion. What white breed can you easily find to use?

Most white are recessive white but some birds that should be recessive white may carry both dominant white and recessive white. You will find out what the white bird carries after the first cross.

If you can not get a white orpington, the only thing left that I can think of is a white wyandotte or a white rock.

Both have yellow skin and the wyandotte has a rose comb. The wyandotte is more like the orpington in type than the rock but you will have to breed out the rose comb. Yellow skin is recessive so it can be carried by the offspring.

Post what large white fowl you can find to use in the cross.

Tim

the best choice would be white orpington or langshan but orpington being the best as they were the foundation breed.. in the old days ther judges used to use a judging card that had every bit and part on it from head to toes..on that they would write in body - breast section, wrong breast type for breed, its easier to correct a looser feather than it is to correct a wrong breast type.I had a long talk with an APA judge about this and they showed me one of those old judging cards..I think its too bad they still dont use those..it goes into much more detail than the cards they use today and there are far less entries in classes than there were back then..using any of the foundation breeds would be fine such as white rock or orp ..white orp would definatly be my choice as correct leg color and breast type ect.....

this is a white australorp in australia, bantam , australians used clean legged langshans and english orpingtons ..they took langshans that were culls from breeders due to clean legs , or clean legged langshans to keep the tight feather required, and the curvey look that the breed is known for and english orps for a neat wide feathered uniform tail..

12691780.gif

Last edited:
I like the curve on that birds back! It would be nice to have some importations on SQ Aussie's from Australia. Especially Bantams! But i know im getting my hopes up.

You won't get white using a splash. You'll get blue in the first generation, then blue, black, splash again. Splash is the result of having 2 blue genes. One gene results in blue, two in splash, and none, you get black. Never white except sometimes white might appear seemingly out of nowhere from black birds but it is VERY VERY rare.

Last edited:
PARANTLY BLACK COCK OVER SPLASH WILL GIVE ME BLUE ,TAKE A BLUE COCK FROM THIS HATCH AND PUT HIM OVER THE SPLASH (MOTHER) THIS WILL GIVE WHITE

My above comment is wrong ,aparently what I need is 2 recessive white Australorps of any colour this will give a percentage of white !

Back
Top Bottom