White Bird of Prey?

Ummmm... sorry to bother you @Overo Mare, but I think it is not a Gyrfalcon. I did some research and the Gyrfalcon lives in the tundra and it is really big. The bird migrated south during the winter and came back this spring. Sorry I should of mentioned that. But still, you did good.

Do not rule this critter out either.

1586456583750.jpeg

0.jpg

Female / Immature
70774751-480px.jpg

F3jZXCTXOOZWgdSeP17m5Hm0KHDKcEfiUNI7UeoVSxcxIYW4Pa6gpUEexUtxWpfF6jkUB0M_4JRo0x612XZAKi_tU9tixObQOiI

Birds of prey can be a pain to identify. Many have different color phases. Google Marsh Hawk grey phase and see if that is it. If you don’t have a bird book you can google birds of prey in Maine, that might work. Regardless, it sounds like you need some bird netting above your run.

Birds of prey can be a pain to identify. Many have different color phases. Google Marsh Hawk grey phase and see if that is it. If you don’t have a bird book you can google birds of prey in Maine, that might work. Regardless, it sounds like you need some bird netting above your run.
I have a bird book but it doesn't have anything that is similar with the bird that I have seen. It also includes a lot of Eastern US birds and didn't get them all I guess.

Northern Harriers occur in your area this time of year. Gyr Falcons more likely to be seen during winter months.

I do not think harriers, whether Northern or Marsh, will go after mature chickens. Marsh not likely occur in the Americas.
I think that you got it right! Thanks!
Weird thing is that it is really white... but it does look like that, it even has the same owlish look. Maybe the bird's ancestors manly consisted of white feathered birds? Also what was it doing by my slide window? Weird stuff...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom