white color in Malaysian Serama ?

trinitymare

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
How do people get the white color in Malaysian Serama? are people still working on this? My first hatch
I got three pure yellow chicks.. sense the breeder I got them from has a lot of white with black tails I'm going to guess they will get dirty or black tails as they grow....and not stay white.

Would one try to breed out the color until they got pure white? or do you start with some other color combo to get pure white and breed white to white until you start getting white.?

How are people going about getting white color in the Malaysian Serama? or are they just forgetting about it?

And sense the birds are so new is it hard to breed for color with out losing type???

Here are my three chicks.. not the most typey birds I know... but they are real young.
DSC02992.jpg

DSC03002.jpg

Last edited:
I am very interested in this also! There are some posts about breeding whites on the SCNA forums but i am to nervous to post there as a newbie! I have a decent white hen and am interested in the whites also. I have heard that they are very hard to get pure whites, but there are lots of people working on them I believe. I *think* they will be the first color to try to get approved by the APA???

Hopefully someone who knows much more than I do will come along and help out!

PS cute chicks! Which breeder did you get your whites from? I will have to try and get a pic of mine!

They look like they will stay white, congratulations! The SCNA is campaigning hard for their whites, and there are really nice ones out there. Unfortunately, nobody can tell me if white in Seramas is dominant or recessive, or both. I have a trio of whites, but since they are all lacking in their tails, I am breeding them to colored birds to improve type, and I will try to get white from their chicks. The problem with breeding for color in such a young breed is just what you guessed-- type may suffer. If you purchase good whites from an established flock, you are set. If you can get mediocre whites, you will spend a couple generations improving type in their offspring. Unless you get lucky, it's a matter of "spend it now, or spend it later," meaning that you can shell out a thousand bucks (literally) for a top quality white trio, or you can drop a couple hundred on something decent, yet not quite show quality, and breed until you get there. The money you didn't spend up front will go towards feed and time to make your perfect white Serama. People are going at it both ways, and I am really excited to see what comes out to play at this year's Ohio National!

I have a hard time beliving they will stay all white.. sense that would be pretty good luck..

I would be glad to bring this up in another chat.. or read more about it on the SCNA , guess I'll have to join..
smile.png

I think if these birds are going to be accpected as a breed people need to start working together or at least give people pointers how to get there..

Even simple genes in white birds would probably be helpful...

I have light brahmas that have ticking/ are dirty... on thier white parts I'm sure breeders that have devloped all white birds would be helpful in learning how they did this..or got rid of the ticking..

Also egg color... I hear thats imporatant so even if I did work on breeding perfect prue white Seramas they all have to lay the same egg color correct? what color eggs are people working on in their whites? when I got my eggs the colors and tones where all over the map.

I bred the white chicks.. they are my first hatch. out of a pair I hatched from Darlene Thompson/ Picture Perfect Poultry shipped eggs.

This is what all three looked like as chicks pure yellow.. no markings.
DSC01496.jpg

DSC01700.jpg

And this is their daddy and crossed with a black hen
DSC01575.jpg

here are her birds looks like she has some pure white ones on there now...

http://my.opera.com/darlenelthompso...190211?&abc=&page=1&skip=0&show=&perscreen=20

Last edited:
You must have recessive white genes in your birds! I have a feeling that white in Seramas may be both recessive and dominant, two different sets of genes. There are people working on red pyle, and that requires dominant white. But birchen over black can't produce white without recessive white! The people that I talk to don't seem to be breeding too scientifically, and they probobly don't understand the difference in the whites. They just breed the two birds together that most look like what they want. No problem with that; it just takes more luck and time to acheive results. I may have just hatched a white, but all my birds are running amuck in the yard, and I couldn't tell you who the parents are. As far as egg color, I haven't read anything regarding standards for that. Eggs don't get judged, and I don't see how that can be dictated.

Hi cat walk...

Only reason I ask about egg color is with most breeds gaining approval by the APA, they place egg color high on their list I was told.. you have white egg layers and brown and so on.... ture you don't get judged on egg color in shows but I thought it was important.

I'll have to study up on genes and chicken genes.. but if we could breed more scientifically to get the colors we want, and type we could start getting rid of birds right off the bat and it would make which ones to keep and what we want to work with much eaiser..

There was a white hen on the SCNA forums pictured with chick and the chicks where snow white.. if this was not photo shopped then her babies where snow white.. while mine are yellow.. If both parents are not white and they did indeed have white then what I'm dealing with must be recessive..

With gray horses, gray is a dominant gene.. but there is Homozygous and Heterozygous... grays.. so if you breed a gray Homozygous horse to any other color the foal will always be gray no matter what... but the graying gene is a color modafier not a color...

Do chickens have color modafier genes like horses?

tobanio is a pattren of horse coat color that is dominant so maybe that would be better to use as a Homozygous and Heterozygous example..

Are their snow white chicks in other breeds?

Are white chickens born yellow or white?

Quote:
hhhhmmmmm, I dunno? I am guessing that it depends on the breed and the genetics. When my white Cochin was a chick, she was in a box with three others, and they all looked blue! I didn't have any experience with chickens then, but I had done a lot of reading, and I was really suprised that she grew up white. If my newest chick grows up to be white, she started out yellow, like yours.

Quote:
Just to answer the questions about what color white chickens are born, from my personal experience my "pure" white orpingtons were born yellow and feathered out white. Also used my white rooster in a cross breeding experiment on a buff orp hen and a blue orp hen and white is definitely a dominant. The buff cross resulting chick has feathered out 99.9% white and the resulting blue cross chick feathered out 65% white with a splash paint job of a gray/blue color. Again, just my personal experiences with white.

I think Liz has given you about all the info that I know.
I saw the fuzzy white chicks on SCNA, but the ones I have here are yellow also..
This is how I got the ones here that I bred.

Phyllis
Frizzles001.jpg

with Sgt. Pepper
Frizzles008.jpg

Frizzles002.jpg

The offspring were mostly all white, but some had a few light buff feathers around their combs.
I showed this to Dianne, and she said that she had some like that in the beginning, but had been breeding whites
for 5 years, and said not to worry about it. I guess it eventually breeds out? I haven't done a lot of homework on my white genes, since I'm not particularly fond of them.

Patrick (my breeding partner) was working on a white line with another friend who only loved white birds for the last few years. Same bloodline as the birds we have now with nothing new added. He somehow got white, and she kept line breeding them to get more solid white.. we have all those birds here at my house now and they are all solid colored. I'm going to have to get the info on those... Pat keeps up with more of the color genetics than I do. I like serama for the surprises!

I started with a white trio, and all hatches have resulted in pure white chicks, once feathered of course. How do I go about adding color to the offspring? Or is the white dominant.

Back
Top Bottom