White comb and earlobes

coolcanoechic

Songster
8 Years
Oct 7, 2011
Raymond, New Hampshire
My Coop
My Coop
My 6 month old speckled sussex is at the bottom of the pecking order but I'm not sure if it applies. Her comb and earlobes have gradually been turning white and after a close inspection tonight, I can see that they are hardening up where it is white. It seems to bother her if I touch it. Her wings have been a little droopy, but she is acting totally normal and eating like a pig. Does anyone know what this is? I don't have a picture yet. She is sleeping right now and I don't want to disturb the peace in the coop with a camera and flash.

It has been chilly at night, but not cold enough for frostbite. The rest of the girls are looking pretty normal, except for her buddy, the second lowest in the pecking order. She exhibits something similar, but not as pronounced, and her wings do not droop.

Hi Nancy ..... I've no experience with that ... newbie here..... but I'll be following this to see what kind of responses come in. Don't blame you for not wanting to disturb them in the coop.

Okay, here are a couple of pictures. A couple of weeks ago, she bumped her comb when flying down off a perch and had a speck of blood there, so I put some blue kote on it. Now that I can see close up with the pictures, I wonder if she has some sort of infection.

I was told that lots of chicken owners swear by NuStock. Works wonders on all skin disorders.
313t7TY%2Bd3L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom