White Coturnix don't breed?

Acarter994

Hatching
Dec 13, 2015
Nottingham, PA
I see all of the other breeders on here that have had success breeding the white (a&m) coturnix with no problems, but mine don't mate! We had some males and females, the roos would crow but none would mate with the females, and none of my other colored coturnix males will even try to mate the white females either! I'm so confused! We literally have a separate egg carton just for our 2 white females because we know they won't hatch because they aren't fertile. One of them attacks any male it sees so I can understand why she never gets a male, but the other female is sweet but no one mates with her. I just don't know what to do. Any advice??

Not that I know anything about it, but the males might not be able to tell the two females apart, so they just stay away from both. If you removed the aggressive one, perhaps, over time, they would start mating the other one.

Those would be the first coturnix in history not mating. How are you verifying fertiltiy of the jumbo white eggs?

There is absolutely nothing different about white coturnix vs any other color phase, except the color.

Not sure if the pic will show up but these are from the white birds, I can tell the difference in their eggs from the others. We have put eggs in the incubator multiple times and the only ones that do not hatch are the ones that the white birds lay. I'm starting to wonder if these are a completely different breed or what but they will absolutley not breed. We had male white ones as well and they wouldn't breed with the white females nor the other females. I'm confused.

Again, how are you verifying fertility?

If you crack an egg and there is a spot in the yolk in the fertile. That simple to see. Otherwise run them in the bator till day 8 then candle.

They arent a different breed or anything unusual a coturnix is a coturnix is a coturnix the only difference between any cot is size and color, and i promise they are breeding you just arent seeing it. Unless you watch them every daylight hour you cant be sure they arent.

I stated above that we have put eggs from the white birds in the incubator and the only ones that don't hatch are the eggs from the white ones but all the eggs from the other birds hatch fine.

Back
Top Bottom