White Crested Polish Pullets? Or is one a Roo?

FEggery

Chirping
Jun 8, 2016
Iowa
These chicks are 9 weeks old and not sure if I have two hens or if the one with the beard is a roo? Any help? So far from Murray McMurray I have 3 roosters in my lot of 15 that were supposed to be all hens, and I didn't included the mystery chick that is also a cockerel! Do they usually have this high a rate of incorrect sexing?

Hatcheries and feed stores etc. seem to dole out a lot of cockerels - that are supposed to be pullets. Sorry I don't know much about sexing Polish except they are supposed to be as difficult as silkies. Sometimes you just have to wait till they lay or crow.

Hopefully Yorkshire Coop will see your post, she breeds polish besides being a very nice person.

If Yorkshire Coop doesn't see the message board, I may message her ;) Thanks! So far there hasn't been any crowing that I have noticed from this one, but with all the crowing going on in my hen house and that big top knot hiding her face I may have missed it! lol

These chicks are 9 weeks old and not sure if I have two hens or if the one with the beard is a roo? Any help? So far from Murray McMurray I have 3 roosters in my lot of 15 that were supposed to be all hens, and I didn't included the mystery chick that is also a cockerel! Do they usually have this high a rate of incorrect sexing?
I think you have a pair there too. But white crested black hens can and do have wattles that can be super confusing but as yours are only nine weeks I would say the red wattle one is a cockerel. I would be very wary of anyone selling very young polish chicks as sexed. Polish are hard work and as drumstick said you often have to wait for an egg or a crow. I've been caught out too many times to remember with pesky polands!
Hatcheries and feed stores etc. seem to dole out a lot of cockerels - that are supposed to be pullets. Sorry I don't know much about sexing Polish except they are supposed to be as difficult as silkies. Sometimes you just have to wait till they lay or crow. Hopefully Yorkshire Coop will see your post, she breeds polish besides being a very nice person.
That's so nice of you Drumstick, thank you :hugs
How heat tolerant are these birds?
As I'm in the UK we don't get super hot that often but when we have they have done ok. I've just made sure they have plenty of cold water, lots of shade and cool treats.

Back
Top Bottom