White Debris in Hen's Eye

Minusthebuff

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2023
Hello all,

Today I noticed one of my hens has some sort of white debris in/on the back of her eye. I'm not sure if it's pus or something else. Looking at other threads here other people's chickens eyes were swollen, but for mine it doesn't appear to be. Attached are photos of her right eye (debris eye; 1st & 2nd) and the normal one (3rd).
As far as I know she doesn't get into any fights, she's been broody for the past few months. (I'll take her outside though on the weekends when I'm home so she's at least getting some sun and not sitting in a box all day). I didn't see this on her eye last night when I was locking everyone up either.
I don't want to poke and prod at something and make things worse without knowing what this is first. No signs of lethargy either, and she blinks just fine/normally with both eyes.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Thank you taking the time to read this!!

Attachments

• PXL_20240510_202848490.jpg
    PXL_20240510_202848490.jpg
    438.6 KB · Views: 19
  • PXL_20240510_202844973.jpg
    PXL_20240510_202844973.jpg
    598.1 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20240510_202915297.jpg
    PXL_20240510_202915297.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 5
I brought her in last night after putting everyone to bed and rinsed with saline like you said. The object didn't come out though, and I ended up stopping after one rinse since it's hard to hold her still and clean just by myself. I kept her in overnight just in case.
This morning when I went to go check on her the white object is gone? I don't see anything in the hay she was laying in or the small water dish I left in there for her.
I'm going to rinse her eye again just to be on the safe side, and keep her in for today to keep an eye on her. She's still acting normal (for a broody birdie lol) and blinking normal

Huh that's weird. Good news that she's ok though. The rinse must have dislodged it. I'm still very curios what it was, so if you figure it out let us know.

Huh that's weird. Good news that she's ok though. The rinse must have dislodged it. I'm still very curios what it was, so if you figure it out let us know.
Will do! So far so good though, just checked on her again and nothing new has appeared in her eye

Probably some type of debris that just got stuck on the eye for a while.
Glad it's gone.

Sometimes you have to move an object, us a qtip or tweezers to remove something from the eye.

To control a bird better, swaddle them in a towel to capture wings.

Same here, I ended up putting her back in the coop tonight for bed since nothing else has appeared today.
Thank you for the advice!! And I greatly appreciate your time!!! :D

Back
Top Bottom