1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

White Egg Layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by shelleen, Oct 11, 2011.

1. shelleen

shelleen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    I have a mixed flock of about...45 hens...I think!! I know I have a couple of breeds that will lay white eggs, such as 1 White Leghorn, 1 Brown Leghorn, & 2 Seabrights. As far as I know, that is it for white layers. The rest--Australorps, Ameracaunas, RIR, BO, Buff Brahama, Silver Lace, etc are all tinted layers. Here's the issue...I have been checking the property for hidden caches of eggs because not that many are laying in the nests. Early last week, all was clear. Saturday, I noticed the White Leghorn sneaking around some tires behind the garage & went & checked. I found 20 eggs, mostly white, in a tire. So who is laying all the white eggs? There were also a couple of TINY light tan eggs. I would assume they were Seabright-sized, as they are the only Bantam hens I have. The rest were medium to large white eggs.

I do have 2 ducks (1 male for sure, the other I hope is female), 2 guineas (both annoying, sex unknown) & a bunch of mutts from a Polish Roo & Australorp, RIR, or Ameracauna hens. I know Polish lay white eggs. could their offspring lay white eggs? Only one of the cached eggs was larger, possibly duck? I can't come up with how there could be that many WHITE eggs in 4-5 days time.

Ideas??

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Duck egg shells feel different from chicken egg shells. They are smoother and feel slightly oily. I am guessing that multiple birds are using the same nest.

Good luck figuring out who's doing it.

3. PegramPoultryProprietor

PegramPoultryProprietor Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    It could have just been your Leghorns or just one of them? How many days did she have a chance to lay one egg a day before you found the hiding place?

4. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:We used to have guineas, and they lay pretty light colored eggs as well, but a bit smaller than a chicken egg.

5. shelleen

shelleen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    I checked the hiding places on Tuesday evening...& found the cache on Saturday. So, 3-1/2 days...20 eggs (17 of which were white, 1 of which was duck??). Who knows?? Somebody has been busy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by