White eggs vs brown eggs.

Autumn J

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 24, 2012
What do you think? White eggs or brown. Seems like people around here associate brown eggs with being farm fresh, but I have hens that lay white eggs and there as fresh as can be. Why do people prefer brown?

welcome-byc.gif
I suspect it has to do with the fact that many of the "organic" eggs are brown. For whatever reason folks associate brown eggs with being healthier. LOL Chickens that are well fed and have plenty of room to forage for their own bugs, etc. are the ones that lay the healthiest eggs - no matter what the breed. And that brown coloring on the shell is added just before the egg is laid and can be washed or scratched off. I guess what I'm saying is I don't really have a clue.

People do tend to think that brown eggs are better, but from the standpoint that we have ate all kinds: white, brown, dark brown, green and blue, they are all pretty much the same, but we actually like the white eggs our White Leghorns lay the best. They are larger eggs and you need less to make a meal :)

I've noticed that most eggs i've seen on American tv programs are white.....but on British telly........they're brown, i eat all colours :)

I think it's the association we have in America with store bought eggs being white. White eggs became popular after WWII because of the association with white being more sterile. Easier to see dirt? I don't know, but white meant sterile and people wanted clean white eggs.
So now a whole new generation of people want to move away from that industrialized agriculture, and white eggs are a reminder of that. Plus, most of the back-yard friendly breeds are brown layers, so as back yard chickens have become more popular and as more and more people are exposed to small farm and back yard eggs, they see brown.
My only concern with egg color is I rather like a colorful basket, so I have selected a few brown layers, a dark brown layer, and an EE. They all taste the same, I just like seeing the colorful basket on my counter.

Before I kept chickens, I had the misconception that brown eggs were that color because the chicken ate a more "natural" diet. Talk about having no clue! But I remember being told that by someone else, so I know I'm not the only one who thought that.

Aren't all or most of the white egg layers Mediterranean breeds? A lot of the American breeds lay brown eggs, along with many heritage breeds which are popular with backyarders.

I have several breeds and love the rainbow of colors. The only color I don't have is white. Tried to get some leg horns but can't get them at the same time as my red stars and the gap is way to big to integrate. What chickens of yours lay the whites?

I grew up eating brown eggs. But then again we made a point to buy white eggs for decorating them before Easter. My only preference is the yolks be vibrant and full of flavor.

I took some eggs to work when my hens had a rush on laying, there were a variety of colours, one young waiter viewed thmn suspiciously and asked me if the blue eggs were blue inside, he said he didn't think he'd be able to eat a blue yoke, he so regretted saying anything because i told EVERYONE lol

Back
Top Bottom