White faced black Spanish enthusiasts, come hither!

I talked to Scoots about three weeks ago and he was asking if I had any sale birds to bring to Newcastle. I told him I would have plenty and may try to bring them the third weekend in August. We made our reservations for Indy in November as soon as the hotels began accepting reservations, look forward to going again but it won't be the same without you guys along. I was hoping we could all meet up at the Bob Evans Restaurant again!!! Feathers still says that was the best glass of water he ever had!!! Cassy and Taylor say hi. We'll be at Newcastle and Shawnee but Kansas is too far this year, I'm only good for one long trip a year. If you decide you want me to look for you some good spanish at Indy just let me know, I can bring'em back for you; I would be glad to do it!

Blessings to you,

Bo

I'm conversing via email with Terry Lund to get some young WFBS birds when the weather cools off. I have Barred Rocks and Production Reds for eggs and fun, but I want to get into showing. Thanks for posting this thread so that I can learn a bit more about WFBS. There sure isn't much information on the Internet! Shout out of thanks to Sunny Chic for her advice about showing!
smile.png

Quote:
I don't have pics yet, but Jim Bell has developed a strain of white faced BLUE Spanish! I can't wait to see them! He tells me that this project has been "a home run" and that the birds are growing out really well. When he sends me pics, I'll ask him for permission to share them here.

Quote:
I don't have pics yet, but Jim Bell has developed a strain of white faced BLUE Spanish! I can't wait to see them! He tells me that this project has been "a home run" and that the birds are growing out really well. When he sends me pics, I'll ask him for permission to share them here.

That would be great! Thanks!
lol.png

Quote:

lol.png

BTW, Terry Lund has good birds (in regard to your prior mention of talking to him via e-mail). I just couldn't get his eggs to hatch--probably more likely an issue with the post office than the quality of his birds. He's a really nice guy, too. Let me know how you do with his birds. I may buy stock from him next year just to have diversity in the blood lines. I'm not breeding anything other than WFBS.

Well, at least not on purpose. But you know how it is in a mixed flock LOL. The WFBS have their own pen/area.

Quote:
lol.png

BTW, Terry Lund has good birds (in regard to your prior mention of talking to him via e-mail). I just couldn't get his eggs to hatch--probably more likely an issue with the post office than the quality of his birds. He's a really nice guy, too. Let me know how you do with his birds. I may buy stock from him next year just to have diversity in the blood lines. I'm not breeding anything other than WFBS.

Well, at least not on purpose. But you know how it is in a mixed flock LOL. The WFBS have their own pen/area

That's kinda my plan too. I have my chickens from the feed store for eating/selling-to-friends-eggs. I've learned a lot in the past several months since I got them! So I'd like to work on WFBS as a project and keep the breed going kind of thing.

Handbasket Just got back on the site and noticed your post.
I have a trio of WBFS and a young rooster from my last hatching He is about 4months. Just started crowing. the face comes on early just grows slowly and hangs like another waddle. And yes the Cocks are mean as &*^* . The Standard are one of the earliest breeds for fighting in the Mediterranean, Spain and Italy from roman times. Mine has cut me good more than once.
Just started with this trio this year. Very poor layers and won't set .

I reread some of the post on here. Please don't mix these birds up. There are engravings of These Birds on Ancient Rome buildings Paintings of Kings with these Birds.
As the guy who started this post said " very few of us that have even seen a WhiteFaced Black Spanish." I don't care how ugly they are "they're Great looking Birds".

The white faced gene is non-dominant and doesn't breed through when you mix them anyway.

I am keeping mine pure ... the closest I'm getting to "mixing" them is that I am taking the best stock I got from Ideal hatchery and crossing them with stock from Jim Bell. Here's a link to a picture of one of his birds on the HPBAA (Heritage Poultry Breeders Association) website. He is one of the founding members.

http://www.hpbaa.com/WFBS_History___Lineage.html

He has a lot of great information on these birds and is very passionate about preserving them. He focuses only on the Spanish (though he has some light sussex, I think). I've e-mailed with him a few times, and he is glad to share his advice/tips on being successful with these birds.

I should have my eggs from his flock here in my dirty little hands in about a week. Just in time cuz I have a hen going broody, and I'm also going to fire up the incubator and get it ready. Going to be my LAST hatch of the year.

Back
Top Bottom