White faced black Spanish enthusiasts, come hither!

Pics
I do not yet have blue Spanish but am thinking of creating them by breeding to a blue Andalusian which should also increase their size even though Spanish are supposed to be bigger than andalusians. That Minorca in my avatar is actually my first hen I ever had but both her babies and her babies babies have significantly surpassed her in size.i actually have babies hatched out from a Minorca Spanish cross.

Hi Gallus,

Look at the faces on those birds, so few wrinkles and long backs, that's great, may have to buy some stock from you next year if my wife allows me to get a second breeding pen going Or perhaps some eggs or chicks later in the year?

I still have to put them on a scale, but will post the results as soon as I do, but they feel pretty good, the cock around 7-8 lbs, and the hens at 6 or over. So I'm planning to hatch 40 chicks out of that pen this year, and keep somewhere between 0-5 as they mature, but we'll see how it goes.

What I meant by leggier was literally a longer shank and tibia, so that the birds carriage is higher off the ground. I keep reading turn-of-the-century periodicals, where the authors lament about the 'abomination of short legs on the distinguished Spanish', which apparently was one of the type characteristics that were given up by 'fadist' breeders in lieu of the over-development of the white lobes. So I think I'm going to be taking the measuring tape to my chicks as they grow, and specifically keeping vigil on the variance of leg length, and keep the birds with the longest legs (unless they're defective in other type characteristics of course.)

These birds are so cool!! Would love to get some.. Although I doubt I'll be able to find any in Alberta Canada. And I have heard they don't do particularly well in cold climates.

So just weighed the birds, and sadly my guesstimate was way off. Cock is only 6.5, and the hens only 4.5. Rather discouraging, but we'll see what happens with the chicks at the end of the year I guess.

I just acquired two pairs from Mike Miller.
Had two other hens from Suzette Wellington at Old-Dominion Dominiques. Excited about breeding these two lines. Here's a picture I took yesterday.

I do not yet have blue Spanish but am thinking of creating them by breeding to a blue Andalusian which should also increase their size even though Spanish are supposed to be bigger than andalusians. That Minorca in my avatar is actually my first hen I ever had but both her babies and her babies babies have significantly surpassed her in size.i actually have babies hatched out from a Minorca Spanish cross.

I have a roo from a Spanish Minorca cross. I was going to "rehome" him for free, but he's looking so awesome that I am not sure I will part with him! (though I don't know where I'll put him!!!)

I just acquired two pairs from Mike Miller.
Had two other hens from Suzette Wellington at Old-Dominion Dominiques. Excited about breeding these two lines. Here's a picture I took yesterday.

Nice big white faces! My hens are taking their sweet time to whiten up!! My roos whitened pretty fast from the same matchings though.

Back
Top Bottom