White faced black Spanish enthusiasts, come hither!

Pics
53017_wfbs.jpg

Here is a photo of our white faced cock bird. We will be putting breeding pens together soon.

Wow, Terry, he's GORGEOUS!! I bet he throws off some beautiful chicks!

Maybe I'll order a couple of chicks from you in the spring, since I've had better luck this year with shipped chicks than I have with shipped eggs. I got some eggs from Jim Bell last week, and the box looked like the boys at the PO used it for soccer practice. Three of the white faced blue Spanish eggs were smashed, several more cracked, and several of both the blue AND black Spanish eggs had no air cells from being jostled around. And like you, he had them packed really good. The broken egg goo didn't look thick or old, so I think it's happening on this end in Sacramento (even though we've moved and no longer in Sacramento, our mail up here does come through that same hub as the Sacramento mail). Although I have to say, right now I have 5 good young cockerels and 10 pullets. I'm fixin' to thin that flock to 2 cockerels & 4 pullets (keeping the best of the bunch for type and temperament) and will be selling the rest, then crossing the ones I keep with better heritage stock birds. I'm so tickled I finally got some! They're gorgeous... boys were crowing at 10 weeks of age!

HH Handbasket, I was just reading through this entire thread and I see you mentioned you were sent bad eggs possibly old and nothing hatched. I read through all of our emails regarding that and you did get eggs that were fertile and developed, they just didn't hatch (died half way through development etc.) I want to make that clear on this thread so people do not get the wrong impression. We strive long and hard to make sure people get top quality eggs. We are not a large hatchery and concentrate on quality over quantity. We always send extas if available. I think we actually sent 2 extra dozen eggs to you in that one shipment. I ALWAYS make sure people are happy with our eggs and I know packaging is usually never an issue, but I can't guarantee eggs to hatch once they are in the USPS hands. I have been on the recieving end of boxes used as footballs as well as everyone else and it is sad, but there is nothing the shipper can do. I think it is a bonus when ordering eggs and only one or two are broke.

Quote:
Hi Terry,

That's why I've gone out of my way to make sure and mention that I believe the problem is occurring with the PO at this end and not at your end, as I may have mistakenly thought at the beginning.

The post office is a pain in the neck when it comes to egg shipping. It's such a shame... it seems almost like they have it in for egg shippers!

I apologize to you and ANY potential customers you may have in this thread in thinking that you may have had inferior quality eggs, as I believe that you are a good person who did a good job and, in good faith, sent the best eggs you could. Stuff happens with the PO, which is why I have had such a horrible problem this year with shipped eggs on this end.

What is it with the post office when they see the word "fragile" on a box and think it's ok to just be careless (or worse) with it? I wish there were other shippers such as DHL or UPS that would be willing to handle shipped eggs!

I wonder if you just packaged eggs well and shipped them via UPS with no notation on the box if they would be fine and all would be good. I am not sure if they x-ray etc...... We should give it a try. I myself always have the people that ship eggs to me put nothing on the box and I always ask customers what they want me to put on the boxes I ship out and the majority say nothing on the box as well. I think some people see the word fragile etc. and then give it a good shake. Why do chickens have to be so addicting!!!!

Drove past two UPS trucks in the past few weeks that were delivering in shopping centers. The back doors were open and the boxes inside were in a jumbled heap . Does not seem to be too safe for eggs.
sad.png
Bill

Back
Top Bottom