white fuzzy stuff growing on the ground?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by GoodEgg, Aug 25, 2007.

  1. GoodEgg

    GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

    724
    1
    159
    Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    I know I read a post about this when I first started coming here, but I can't turn it up with any of the search terms I've tried.

    I was wondering about white fuzz growing overnight on moist ground. It comes up in little patches, usually about a foot square, and not thick, just a slight fuzzy film.

    Does anyone know what this could be? And if it could be dangerous to the chickens?

    I don't know if I did wrong before, but often I would pour feed on the ground (when the ground was dry) and they would clean it up pretty quickly. I started worrying that they might miss some and it might go bad overnight, so I started using a few overturned dog frisbees around the run for food holders. Now I'm seeing this white stuff growing on the ground. It shouldn't be leftover feed, since I don't put it directly down anymore.

    Thanks, if anyone knows what it could be, and if I need to be concerned. Honestly, I have no idea what I could do about it if it IS dangerous, so I hope it's not!

    Thanks!
    trish
     
  2. DuckLady

    DuckLady ~~~Administrator~~~BYC Store Support Staff Member

    32,536
    1,330
    521
    Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Wow, I don't know what it is unless is is trace amounts of leftover feed molding and growing. I wouldn't take any chances on botulism and I would clean it up, scraping the ground under the mold and burning it.
     
  3. justusnak

    justusnak Flock Mistress

    Definately sounds like some sort of mold...whish is NOT healthy for your chickens. You might look into getting some garden lime...and putting a layer down in the run, then turning the dirt. Hope this helps ya!
     
  4. rosyposyosy

    rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

    Jul 11, 2007
    its mold, i get it sometimes when the feeders been in one place for too long - the best thing to do is move the feeder to a different spot each day
     
  5. doghamstyluv95

    doghamstyluv95 Chillin' With My Peeps

    141
    0
    139
    Apr 28, 2007
    yes it is mold, im not sure what to do about it but listen to other people on here.
     
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  6. den10hens

    den10hens Out Of The Brooder

    48
    2
    34
    May 4, 2007
    Portland, Oregon
    I used to put feed in a pie pan and I got that mold on the ground. The chickens would stand on the edge of the pie pan and the food would dump out, or they fling it out while they are eating.

    I had some left over items from a dog we used to have. (sad, but a few years ago, glad I kept her stuff)

    I started using my dog's un-tippable stainless steel water dish for their food, which is deeper so not as much gets flung out, and its steady so they can stand on the edge. With rainy weather on the way, I keep the dish in the old dog house, they have easy access to it, and none of it ends up on the damp ground

    Angie in Oregon
     
  7. GoodEgg

    GoodEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

    724
    1
    159
    Feb 12, 2007
    NW Florida
    Sigh ... I knew it was some kind of mold. I was hoping I wouldn't have to take drastic means to deal with it.

    The problem is that I have thick grass in the run. The only way to be RID of the patches would be to dig up the soil and grass, and I don't want to dig big holes all over the run.

    I will look into heavier bowls for now, probably INSIDE the coop. When they finish up the frisbees, they turn them upside down. Always. (Kinda funny, actually.) But it may be scattering a little feed.

    Someone mentioned lime? I have a big bag of powdered lime my boss gave me. If I sprinkle that out, can I water it in, and let the chickens out on it the next morning? Will that take care of mold?

    If not, I sure would appreciate any suggestions. Looks like I might have to feed in the coop after all, for the sake of not having wet feed around. It's just too humid here, plus we have to wet the run down a few times a day for them.

    Thanks SO much everyone!
    trish
     
  8. DoctorGoose

    DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

    381
    0
    139
    Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    I'd just scrape it with a shovel and spray some bleach on it. We get it here if we don't clean the horses' paddocks for a while. I just also read you can sprinkle some Oxy-clean (apparently oxygenated bleach?) on it that will kill it and not harm the plants...
     
  9. arlee453

    arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

    Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Mold?? I thought maybe it was Manna....

    Just kiddin'

    Susan
     
  10. erinm

    erinm Posting For A change

    493
    1
    151
    Feb 24, 2007
    Central Massachusetts
    We get that all over an area in our yard that does not get a lot of sun. Some type of mold i guess. Erinm
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by