WHite gross stuff in back of ROOS throat!!! Laryngo?????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bantamgal, Sep 26, 2008.

1. bantamgal

bantamgal Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    a little yellow too

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    can u get a pic on here?...it will help them tell u what is wrong..sorry about the roo!..[​IMG]

3. bantamgal

bantamgal Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    No it looks like he has pneamonia. Like a big loogy but not green

4. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Songster

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
  5. bantamgal

bantamgal Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    Quote:Yes I do have a few pigeons in the coop

I guess the vinegar water with and old penny will release copper sulfate, if that is what he has. I know i read that on here sometime. I hope he has that, because at least I can treat it.

6. bantamgal

bantamgal Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    o thank you all. I will update. If he doesnt get better I am wondering if I should even keep chickens. There are too many illness' and maybe I should just cull the flock. [​IMG]

7. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    keep your chickens away from the pigeons (especially do not house in the same building):
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/UW117
    (excerpt)
    ".... Pigeons have been long associated with disease organisms transmissible to humans and livestock. These include: 13 bacterial diseases including salmonellosis ( Salmonella food poisoning), fowl typhoid, paratyphoid, pasteurellosis , streptococcosis , and tuberculosis ; five fungal diseases including aspergillosis, blastomycosis and histoplasmosis ; six protozoan diseases including toxoplasmosis and coccidiosis; chlamydiosis ; the rickettsial disease Q Fever; eight viral diseases including eastern equine and St. Louis encephalitis, Newcastle disease and fowl pox of poultry; the tapeworms in the genus Taenia, Davainea proglottina, and Railletina tetragona ; four genera of parasitic nematodes of poultry including Tetramares (2 sp.), Capillaria (5 sp.), and Acuaria spiralis ; and 14 parasitic flukes of poultry, livestock, and humans.

Pigeons are generally a more serious disease vector to livestock, especially poultry and egg producers, than to humans....."

Trichomaniasis is quite common in pigeons and here is info (including treatment meds):
    http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/201400.htm

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  8. nnbreeder

nnbreeder Songster

Jun 22, 2008
    Oklahoma
    There are lots of illness associated with any keeping of animals. Milk is pasturized today because TB was being spread through milk and hogs can pass I think up to 14 different diseases to humans through contact, as long as you practice good biosecurity measures your losses to illness will be very, very limited.

9. bantamgal

bantamgal Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    Thanks dlhunicorn and nnbreeder and the1much and redhen and everyone

10. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

your very welcome,,,,even though i didnt do nothing for ya [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: