tielie135

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
100 mile house, BC, Canada
butchered 4 roosters today and when i was taking the organs out for my dogs and i noticed the kidneys were white, i assumed it was a weird one off thing until all four of them had these white kidneys. they were VERY white, not yellow like fat, when cut into they are white all the way in and oily. the whole flock including these guys acted perfectly healthy, liver, lungs, pancreas etc were all perfectly healthy. birds were about 5 months old with a layer of yellow fat. they had normal veining on the outside but no clear sign of veins on the inside, they were shaped like kidneys but a little larger and in the right place, one on each side and nothing else there. 3 are from one rooster one is from another but i dont know who the moms are, probably the same as they were hen raised. never seen anything like this in my flock. i dont have photos due to the local ravens being insanely quick. i didnt keep them for the dogs.

The only thing I can think of that might make the kidneys turn white would be Gout or Urolithiasis.

I'll tag in @dawg53 @Eggcessive and @coach723 to see if they have any other suggestions.

What was their diet like?
Free range and layer pellet. Still got a foot of snow so all layer all winter.
Edit. There appeared to not be any kidney I could find underneath although i didn't look super well. Maybe it was as I have never butchered roosters that old

How about this?
Maybe this instead of kidneys?

Chicken_male_reproductive_tract.jpg

https://poultry.extension.org/articles/poultry-anatomy/avian-reproductive-system-male/

The only thing I can think of that might make the kidneys turn white would be Gout or Urolithiasis.

I'll tag in @dawg53 @Eggcessive and @coach723 to see if they have any other suggestions.

What was their diet like?

Editing to add...was it the testes instead of kidneys?

Look at figure 32

https://breathitt.murraystate.edu/department/PoultryToolbox/Poultry Necropsy_Manual_ZP130193_PrintReady_Zoetis.pdf
okay it is testies lol, i am a living panic attack and worry about everything, its odd that ive never seen them before doing up roosters but i allways butcher around first crow and these guys been crowing for a few months, thank you so much for putting my worries at ease!

okay it is testies lol, i am a living panic attack and worry about everything, its odd that ive never seen them before doing up roosters but i allways butcher around first crow and these guys been crowing for a few months, thank you so much for putting my worries at ease!
Oh good!
You had me racking my brain for a while, good for the 'ol geezer noggin to do some research though, keeps me going!

Yes, the testes grow as they get older, so if the cockerels were more mature than what you are used to, then this would be the case.

Back
Top Bottom