White leghorn, broody?

I also forgot to mention, if you want to let her sit on some eggs, mark them with a pencil, and then remove the extra (unmarked) eggs daily as the other hens will try to lay more eggs in her nest every day.

To coax her off the nest, place a dish of scrambled eggs or canned corn close by, and she will leave and eat for a few minutes, giving you time to inspect the marked eggs and collect the unmarked ones.

If she leaves for too long, the eggs won't hatch. You can check them when you do your inspections, with a small bright flashlight to see if they are still developing or have died.

Thats the thing, she picked a next on the second level of the coop where the other hens don't go. Its funny, right now she's back on the nest. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Could she be a white leghorn X silkie cross? The dark skin around the eyes, and the eye color and shape remind me of my silkie crosses. Does she have a little extra toe on the back digit? I can't quite see the toes in the photo.
Hmmmm, my wife told me they were silkies where she got her from. Makes a lot of sense. Ill check for the extra toe.

I'm gonna guess that since she's the new bird she may just be sleeping in the nest at night and hiding there during the day. She might be 'getting along', but still avoiding the flock.
Is she pooping in the nest at night?
Is she laying?
Are other birds laying in that nest too?
Does she exhibit other broody behaviors, hissing, biting, flattening out, can't hardly walk when removed from nest????
I would not leave good eggs in nest until you are sure she's broody.

I'm gonna guess that since she's the new bird she may just be sleeping in the nest at night and hiding there during the day. She might be 'getting along', but still avoiding the flock.
Is she pooping in the nest at night?
Is she laying?
Are other birds laying in that nest too?
Does she exhibit other broody behaviors, hissing, biting, flattening out, can't hardly walk when removed from nest????
I would not leave good eggs in nest until you are sure she's broody.
She is not pooping, she gets angry when approached, she has laid 13 eggs as of yesterday. Like I said, she spent the whole nigh and half of the day, and she goes out for the whole afternoon till sunset. Its been like that for the las 4 days.

She is not pooping, she gets angry when approached, she has laid 13 eggs as of yesterday. Like I said, she spent the whole nigh and half of the day, and she goes out for the whole afternoon till sunset. Its been like that for the las 4 days.
Her right now! On top

Attachments

• ACEBF6C0-EEA0-4466-9CEC-CA64BEEE90D0.jpeg
    ACEBF6C0-EEA0-4466-9CEC-CA64BEEE90D0.jpeg
    647.7 KB · Views: 14
Sooo my Blankita its definetely sitting. Its been in her nest since last post!! Ill will ask more questions days before hatching.

Ok here are the pics!!
If not a leghorn what could it be?

All that glitters is not gold and every white chicken is not a White Leghorn. The White Leghorn breed or strain is exemplified by white or yellow feet, and a pure white eggshell. Pure white eggshells are produced by birds with white earlobes, not red ear lobes like the hen in the picture has and certainly not green, terrapin, or willow colored feet like the hen in the picture is sporting. As for body type the suspect hen is lacking most of the configuration of Mediterranean breeds and she looks more like a meat bird in her (forgive me) coarse appearance.

Back
Top Bottom