1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

White Leghorn egg color?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BankerJohn, Sep 15, 2010.

1. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    I have 7 hens... 1 BR, 2 EE, 2 RIR & 2 White Leghorns. I have been told and read often that the White Leghorns will lay white eggs. All were hatched the 2nd week in March 2010. THe last 3 days, I have gotten 6 eggs that are brown or green (EE's).

Has anyone had or heard of a White Leghorn laying brown eggs?

2. SugarDuck

SugarDuck Songster

May 12, 2010
    Lamar, AR.
    our 3 white leghorns lay nothing but white eggs? Never heard of them laying a brown egg?

3. 9 Feathers Farm

9 Feathers Farm In the Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    St Johns, MI
    Are you sure they are leghorns? What color are their earlobes? Most chickens (there are a couple of exceptions) that have red earlobes will lay brown eggs, the ones with white earlobes will lay white eggs. A true white leghorn should have white earlobes.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

They could be White Rocks instead of Leghorns. Check the earlobe color, or post a pic

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm guessing you have White Rocks.

6. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

If they have white/greenish lobes they are leghorns...but I thought one of mine was a leghorn and it had red lobes...turned out to be a white rock and it lays brown eggs....

Hope it helps!

[​IMG]

7. peewee6765

peewee6765 In the Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    i had same problem its probaly white rocks heres a pic( i thought it was leghorn too!but mean chicken seller sold me white rock which was 3 months instead of 6 months)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010

8. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

The good news about White Rocks is that mine (at least) lays a consistently large brown egg most every day!!! [​IMG]

9. brghtii

brghtii In the Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    I have what I thought was a leghorn too...solid white. That JUST laid a light brown egg. The same color as my buff orpingtons. I was waiting for a large white egg. I only have one white egg layer, or so I thought. I inherited these (11) and was waiting for them to start laying again. It was a medium almost round egg. Strange!!!!

10. dewey

dewey Songster

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Maybe I misunderstood, lol, but 5 of the 7 hens could lay brown eggs, 3 for sure (BR & RIR's)...are you sure the brown eggs came from your white chickens? Maybe the others are laying the brown eggs?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by