White Leghorn egg color?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BankerJohn, Sep 15, 2010.

1. BankerJohn

BankerJohn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Lecanto, Florida
    I have 7 hens... 1 BR, 2 EE, 2 RIR & 2 White Leghorns. I have been told and read often that the White Leghorns will lay white eggs. All were hatched the 2nd week in March 2010. THe last 3 days, I have gotten 6 eggs that are brown or green (EE's).

Has anyone had or heard of a White Leghorn laying brown eggs?

2. SugarDuck

SugarDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Lamar, AR.
    our 3 white leghorns lay nothing but white eggs? Never heard of them laying a brown egg?

3. 9 Feathers Farm

9 Feathers Farm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    St Johns, MI
    Are you sure they are leghorns? What color are their earlobes? Most chickens (there are a couple of exceptions) that have red earlobes will lay brown eggs, the ones with white earlobes will lay white eggs. A true white leghorn should have white earlobes.

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

They could be White Rocks instead of Leghorns. Check the earlobe color, or post a pic

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'm guessing you have White Rocks.

6. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

If they have white/greenish lobes they are leghorns...but I thought one of mine was a leghorn and it had red lobes...turned out to be a white rock and it lays brown eggs....

Hope it helps!

[​IMG]

7. peewee6765

peewee6765 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2010
    i had same problem its probaly white rocks heres a pic( i thought it was leghorn too!but mean chicken seller sold me white rock which was 3 months instead of 6 months)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  8. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG]

The good news about White Rocks is that mine (at least) lays a consistently large brown egg most every day!!! [​IMG]

9. brghtii

brghtii Out Of The Brooder

Mar 18, 2011
    I have what I thought was a leghorn too...solid white. That JUST laid a light brown egg. The same color as my buff orpingtons. I was waiting for a large white egg. I only have one white egg layer, or so I thought. I inherited these (11) and was waiting for them to start laying again. It was a medium almost round egg. Strange!!!!

10. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    Maybe I misunderstood, lol, but 5 of the 7 hens could lay brown eggs, 3 for sure (BR & RIR's)...are you sure the brown eggs came from your white chickens? Maybe the others are laying the brown eggs?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by