White leghorn egglaying problem

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kadjain, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

Howdy,

I'm new to the board and this is my first question, kind of a little story. I have 2 white leghorns that just started laying. They were both laying fine until about 2 weeks ago. For some reason one of them decided to lay in the duck hut. I went to collect in the duck hut and saw an egg that looked like it had got broken open. I've seen the other chickens break open and eat other eggs but there was no shell or any shell remnants, just like a cracked open egg on a frying pan. Later I saw the same hen come out of the duck hut again so I went back to look. There was another egg but this time it was in just a soft membrane. No hard shell again but this time a thick membrane, thick enough that it didn't break being layed. The next day she layed a huge egg that had a paper thin shell and two yokes. Since that day she has not layed an egg, about 2 weeks ago. She looks and acts normal otherwise. The other leghorn is still laying just fine.
    Anyone know what happened or have any ideas?

2. linben

linben Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I would make sure she has oyster shell available. She is new to laying and it make take a while to get normal. I had to keep mine in the coop for a while when they first started laying to get them to lay in the nesting box. However, it was in the attached run. They still sometimes change their habits as far as where they lay.

3. Kadjain

Kadjain Chillin' With My Peeps

I supplement with oyster shells but I kinda figured it might be a new laying issue.

Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by