White Leghorn hen bleaching

TheBantamRoo

Chirping
Mar 8, 2021
So I’ve got a white leghorn hen who has not been laying for a couple of months. The molted back in October, and hasn’t laid since. Her legs are beginning to turn yellow and her beak is now solid yellow. I don’t know if maybe she’s come to the end of her laying time or something else. I have no idea how old she is. I got her from 4H in 2019 (so she’s at LEAST 4 years old).

And I don’t know if this can indicate age, but judging from how she acts, I think she’s higher up if not the highest hen in the pecking order. She beats up my roosters, no one gets to mate with her.

Are you asking about the bleaching of her legs that is now turning yellow again?

The more they lay, the paler their legs get as the yellow is used in the yolks. After some time off they get yellow again, provided they have enough carotenoids in their diet.
It's not really a sign of whether she will get back to laying soon. I would evaluate the redness and fullness of her comb for that. Or you could do a butt check.

It's normal for 2+ year old hens to take long breaks around molting.
And production breeds do fall off in their rate of lay abilities faster than non-supercharged breeds. But the number of eggs may still be adequate.
Big business or efficiency minded people dismiss older production hens because they are concerned about squeezing out every last drop.
The typical backyard chicken keeper may still be satisfied with their performance. If it were me, I would make that evaluation in spring. Does she come back on and how many eggs a week?

Are you asking about the bleaching of her legs that is now turning yellow again?

The more they lay, the paler their legs get as the yellow is used in the yolks. After some time off they get yellow again, provided they have enough carotenoids in their diet.
It's not really a sign of whether she will get back to laying soon. I would evaluate the redness and fullness of her comb for that. Or you could do a butt check.

It's normal for 2+ year old hens to take long breaks around molting.
And production breeds do fall off in their rate of lay abilities faster than non-supercharged breeds. But the number of eggs may still be adequate.
Big business or efficiency minded people dismiss older production hens because they are concerned about squeezing out every last drop.
The typical backyard chicken keeper may still be satisfied with their performance. If it were me, I would make that evaluation in spring. Does she come back on and how many eggs a week?
Yes, I’m asking about them turning yellow again, sorry if that was misunderstood.

Her comb is not like it usually is. It’s starting to dull and shrink some.

Yes, I’m asking about them turning yellow again, sorry if that was misunderstood.

Her comb is not like it usually is. It’s starting to dull and shrink some.

A dull, shrunken comb is normal for a hen who is molting and not laying.

When spring comes (assuming you're in the northern hemisphere), she'll probably start up again and her hormones will make her comb red and full again.

09B3B42E-60B0-4B98-807D-B02F5033B2C5.jpeg

6EFF5B87-8770-406E-A9F8-2C3B5A560DE1.jpeg

Here’s her beak, eye ring, shanks, toes, and comb.

My little Leghorns (bantams) as they get older their combs are less (? How do I explain) vertical? They are not so hard with blood pressure. When they feel poorly the comb will get darker, purple-ish and lose the spring it has when they were younger. (Kind of like boobs, they are firmer and higher up when you are a teenager than as a menopausal old bird like me)

If they have a prolonged illness, the comb does not come back to its original shape but color returns. I have one with ascitite (? Spelling) aka water-belly who has been drained twice. Her comb is smaller and floppier than it was but the color came back.

Your girl is very pretty 😍 she has nice little feathers on her face, (mine get a more exposed face when they come around towards a molt and then fill up with face feathers when they molt.) She has a nice wattle and her comb looks good, just a little dry. I see that sometimes in winter, or when they are sick/recovering. I have one completing a molt and her comb is dusty too. I see what you mean about the yellow in the legs & beak.

The color of a chicken can change with age, my RIR will get a different color if they have a heavy molt and the eggs (which are brown) will be paler as they age.

Keep an eye on her belly is my best LH advice... They get liver infections and water-belly. Look for swelling in the abdomen or half made eggs that get stuck on the way out. Those tend to predict issues. Mine don't live long after they stop laying. They take egg breaks when very sick or molting but usually if it doesn't return, they are going to heaven.

They suffer more from cold than others (not enough down feathers is what I tell them, but they won't listen to me ) so if it is cold where you are that may slow the eggs.

I worry the yellow for yours is predictive of a liver problem.

Here is my girl come in due to a bad molt at the worst moment in the cold snap. I agree yours has a more yellow beak. Mine is not laying, hasn't for a little while because of this hard molt, so I don't see a link to egg making/yellow. (her name is Robin-Hood ) she had a forest adventure when she was little.

A 4 yr old laying is going to be hit&miss, there will be breaks... She is more looking for a retirement than babies. I love that yours beats up the rooster if he gets frisky when she does not feel like it. It is a good sign of desire to live.

Attachments

• IMG_20230104_103110_620.jpg
    IMG_20230104_103110_620.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20230104_103100_092.jpg
    IMG_20230104_103100_092.jpg
    238.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20230104_103108_210.jpg
    IMG_20230104_103108_210.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom