White Leghorns Screaming?

Firefox

In the Brooder
Jun 20, 2023
I have two white leghorn hens (not completely sure of their genders) who will randomly scream. I'm not kidding when I say this, its a very shrill scream-like sound. Is this them starting to crow? Is it normal? Should I be scared? They're really nice for white leghorns, and I've had no issues with them bullying the younger hens.

I suggest you post a photo and tell how old they are. That can help people figure it out.

Or if you can make a video of the sounds, that would work even better. You cannot post the video directly on this site, so put it somewhere like youtube and then post a link in the thread here.

20230823_100447.jpg

Here's a head shot of one. About 4 or 5 months old

View attachment 3620936
Here's a head shot of one. About 4 or 5 months old
At 4-5 months old, it could be a pullet about to lay eggs (big red comb) and practicing the egg song (can sound like screaming). Or it could be a cockerel (big red comb) and practicing crowing (can sound like screaming).

Are you able to get a picture of the whole bird? It is old enough that a male should have obvious saddle feathers growing from his back, and a female should not. Looking at those feathers is the easiest way I know to sort them out at this age.

View attachment 3620968
View attachment 3620969
Pictures of both, top is the one that the previous post had a picture of.
I always forget how hard it is to see the shape of the feathers on white chickens.

But I think both of them are males.

So the "screaming" is probably them crowing. It can also be them giving a warning sound about something they think is a threat.

View attachment 3620968
View attachment 3620969
Pictures of both, top is the one that the previous post had a picture of.
Both are cockerels.. the screaming may be attempts at crowing.. I can't see the white feathers too well in the pics but do think I see some pointy saddles.. here are some example from google that would be accurate by your stated age *starting around 10-12 weeks and usually well by 16-18) for your personal comparison..

1693162286755.png

1693162354499.png

It can also be them giving a warning sound about something they think is a threat.
Oh ya, that's a good one they start doing around that age. Broody's also make that shrill kinda scorning noise.

Also different than the full on screaming seen in some scared birds that may have been caught and are not used to being handled.

Is it normal? Should I be scared?
It is normal and there's NOTHING to be scared of. There are plenty of things to be aware of though. Are you planning or able to keep any cockerels/roosters?

The black one in the last photo (I'm sorry it's blue now that I'm not looking at the head alone) may also be a cockerel from what I can see..

The black one in the last photo (I'm sorry it's blue now that I'm not looking at the head alone) may also be a cockerel from what I can see..

It is. OP has better photos in another thread.

There are plenty of things to be aware of though. Are you planning or able to keep any cockerels/roosters?

I agree, that is definitely something for OP to figure out, since they have at least 3 males (2 White Leghorns and the blue one).

Sadly l, three is definitely too many roos for our coop. I think that all three will have to be rehomed :hit

Back
Top Bottom