White Leghorns

MrsLFlanagan

In the Brooder
May 26, 2019
Tell me about your white leghorns. I have 2, 10 week old girls that I’m ready to let out with the big girls. We only have a 6 ft fence and am worried about containing them, from the stories I have read. At that young age would they be able to fly over that height? They are very flighty and don’t like to be picked up, so worried I will never get them back in the yard if they escape ☺️ Also, tips on clipping wings when the bird is resistant and squirmy when you try thanks!

My Leggies are great layers. The best layers in my flock.
I get one large egg from them daily.

When it comes to clipping their wings, it helps to have someone help hold them while you clip, or vice versa. You can try putting a rag over its head to calm it down, too.

Make sure to clip the correct, feathers. There are plenty of tutorials on YT.
Clip only one wing so that the bird is off balance when trying to fly.
They'll still be able to fly, but not as high or as well.

I don't doubt that the birds will be able to make it over the 6 ft fence in the next few days. I call mine the Escape Artists... almost impossible to keep them contained in the coop/run if you don't have a netting over your run. Even then they'll find a way...

Good luck with your birds and let us know how it goes.

Ben

My Leggies are great layers. The best layers in my flock.
I get one large egg from them daily.

When it comes to clipping their wings, it helps to have someone help hold them while you clip, or vice versa. You can try putting a rag over its head to calm it down, too.

Make sure to clip the correct, feathers. There are plenty of tutorials on YT.
Clip only one wing so that the bird is off balance when trying to fly.
They'll still be able to fly, but not as high or as well.

I don't doubt that the birds will be able to make it over the 6 ft fence in the next few days. I call mine the Escape Artists... almost impossible to keep them contained in the coop/run if you don't have a netting over your run. Even then they'll find a way...

Good luck with your birds and let us know how it goes.

Ben
Thank you! They are so ready to get out with the big girls and seem fearless! Wish us luck! 😂

Back
Top Bottom