White "membrane" found in coop

thechickincharge

Hatching
Oct 25, 2018
I have 2 Easter Eggers and 1 Buff O that are 7 months old. The Buff O took a while to lay and has only just sort of gotten "regular" in the last 2 weeks. Today I found egg white (not sure of yolk) in the coop, away from the laying boxes and there was a white "membrane" of sorts with it. There was egg white liquid in it. It almost looks like a white balloon when it pops, in pieces rolled into each other. Is this okay?

I'm not an expert by any means, but our girls laid a few shell-less eggs when they were getting the hang of it. Also, after feeding them some yogurt whey, one laid a soft egg, so we are keeping dairy out of their diet. They eat layer crumbles.

I have 2 Easter Eggers and 1 Buff O that are 7 months old. The Buff O took a while to lay and has only just sort of gotten "regular" in the last 2 weeks. Today I found egg white (not sure of yolk) in the coop, away from the laying boxes and there was a white "membrane" of sorts with it. There was egg white liquid in it. It almost looks like a white balloon when it pops, in pieces rolled into each other. Is this okay?
Welcome to BYC!
It's not unusual for new layers to lay a soft shell egg...and it's fair game for that easily broken egg to be completely or partially eaten.

I've got a silkie that's been laying eggs, as well as these white membrane things. I've found them in the yard, as well as in the coop right before she lays her egg.
20210906_092747_HDR.jpg
20210901_181518.jpg

Back
Top Bottom