white Minorca genes

Are you guys still interested in White Minorcas? I found a fella who sells hatching eggs. His line is over 15 years in the making......

I do not know for sure if they are dominant white or recessive white. My guess is recessive white.

Whites would be easy to make. 1) Find a large male white leghorn and cross with your best black minorca females. The offspring will be white or white with black specs.

2) Then take the best looking male offspring and back cross with your best female black minorcas. This generation should have good minorca type.

3) Then take the best looking white offspring and cross them ( a sibling cross).

4. Breed the best from the sibling cross. You can always back cross the best looking white male to black minorca females to improve type- then cross the white offspring.

There is only one problem with the cross and that is skin color. Minorca have white skin which is dominant and leghorns have yellow skin which is recessive. Yellow skin may show up when you cross offspring together. Back crosses to black minorca should not produce yellow skin offspring.

Shank color- White minorca have white shanks. The white leghorn carries the barring gene which clears the black from the shanks. In the third cross ( the sibling cross) only cross a male with white ( close to white) shanks to a female with white (close to white) shanks. The siblings you cross will only carry one barring gene. The next generation will produce males with nice clean legs and females with clean ( may show some gray) shanks.

Always use a white male to back cross to black minorca females. Barring is a sex linked gene and this cross insures that some females and some males carry the barring gene. You will not get clean white shanks with out the barring gene.

It is possible to get white shanks if a bird carries two birchen alleles. That is unlikely but could happen if a bird in the first cross carries a birchen and extended black allele.

Tim

Check out the Minorca Thread. There is a gentleman in Oregon that raises SC Whites. His come from Beau McLean and has ties to the Schock breedings. They are recessive so best to get a white from him and cross onto the best blacks then use these birds to establish your white flock.

I have a nice flock of about 25 White Minorca. The hens lay very well and the eggs are extra large. They have a great temperament and have handled the cold Wisconsin winters well. I have also found that they are quite fertile. I got my start through Sand Hill. If anyone in my area is interested, I would be happy to help you get a start with these birds. Can't say enough how beautiful and yet utility based they have been for me.

Hi I got white minorcas from sandhill and the quality was poor. I have improved this year, size and bone is much better. leg color and combs are correct. I will have birds for sale next year. Have a flock of about 60 this year that I am growing out . thanks Jeff

I have a nice flock of about 25 White Minorca. The hens lay very well and the eggs are extra large. They have a great temperament and have handled the cold Wisconsin winters well. I have also found that they are quite fertile. I got my start through Sand Hill. If anyone in my area is interested, I would be happy to help you get a start with these birds. Can't say enough how beautiful and yet utility based they have been for me.

Hello, I see you raise white Minorcas and was wondering if you sell. My email is [email protected]
Let me know
Thank you.
Jackson

Back
Top Bottom