White mites in chickens eye

UrbanChickies

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 3, 2011
Henderson, NV
Hello everyone,

It's been a long time since I've posted on here. I'm in need of some help. My Cochin has some white mites and they keep going into her eye. I've done so much reading on them but I can seem to be rid of them naturally. I tried dusting the chickens with wood ash... I've washed her eye out with a dropper too. But those pesty things just won't go away. I would like to hear from the people that really had success on getting rid of this nasty critters, without pesticides.

Thank you!!! :)

Arlene

If the bugs are all over her entire body, I'm not sure what to do. If they are in a certain smaller area, consider applying vaseline over the area to , in effect, smother the evil doers.

They look very white and thin. Barely visible to the eye. I read something online that said they go in and out of the eye to drink water and they eat dead skin. The poor girl barely opens one of her eyes. She's still laying, eating and drinking though but not as active as she usually is. It's been in the high 30's in the morning here, and I seen her shivering. We brought her inside for a little bit and she seems fine...I don't know... I really don't like the thought of those little bugs in my house. My kids love these birds and hold them a lot. ugh...

Arlene

I am not overly fond of pesticides but I am less fond of my chickens being miserable or dying from the bugs so I use seven dust. It gives me great satisfaction watching those miserable little creatures fall off dead. 10 days later redust.
sharon

Could they possibly be eye worms? They are thin, translucent worms that live in the chicken's eyelid. Try looking up pics and descriptions of eye worms and see if they look like what your chicken has. Good luck!!

I know these aren't worms, they move kind of quick. The are white, not transparent. What I don't know is, are they mites or lice??? Can anyone tell me?

Thank you,
Arlene

I would NOT bring her in your house! You are absolutely right when you say you don't want those things in your house.

Back
Top Bottom