White "mold" on turkeys head?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by howfunkyisurchicken, Feb 12, 2015.

1. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    That's the best way to describe it. A couple of days ago I noticed a small white patch on my black Spanish hens head. At first I thought it could be lice nits so I treated them and their coop, but it isn't. A few days later, its gotten a little bigger, and it looks fuzzy like mold. Maybe some type of fungus? I'll try to post up some pictures soon, I have to go to work in a little bit, so I can't do it right now. In the mean time, I'm hoping someones seen this before and can give me some insight as to how I should go about treating it.

She's acting normal otherwise, eating, drinking, pooping and scratching about in the leaves of their run. No one else has it either. Its odd. She has been roosting out of the coop, way high up in a tree by the run (the only recent thing "off" about her, which will be remedied on my next day off when I can catch her and clip one of her wings so she can't fly over the fence- hopefully).
    Thanks in advance :)

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Ew, but yea, that looks about right. Luckily, I already have some athletes foot spray on hand, so I guess she'll get her first dose tomorrow. How do they get favus? I keep my coops pretty clean and dry. Luckily I've caught it all pretty early I think, so I'll just have to watch her tom to make sure it doesn't spread. And, luckily, they're the only 2 birds in that coop right now. Ugh.
    Thank you!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have never dealt with it...maybe wild birds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by